Quick catfish rig question

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bnt55, Feb 24, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I am thinking about changing from a 3 way rig to a sliding leader setup. Basically I will have a barrel swivel on the main line and a short 12" piece of mono dropping down from that to the lead weight. On that weight line I will have a sliding barrel swivel with an 18" leader attached to a circle hook with a float in between to keep bait off bottom of river. Now the question I have is, when the sinker gets hung up like usual and it breaks off, how do I keep my leader with the bait from just slipping off the broken line that used to knot to the sinker?

I am trying to come up with a less tangling setup, if that's possible!

Thanks
    Bill

Attached Files:

• rig.jpg
      rig.jpg
      File size:
      9 KB
      Views:
  2. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    My advice is to stick with your 3 way rig. To answer your question, add another swivel between your weight and leader. Thats a lot of knots and hardware though. It will sting a little more when you lose the whole rig.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hi Bill, Go to the BOC library, You can find it near the top of the Form Jump at the bottom of this page. There is all kind of cool stuff. Just click on the table of contents and it will show the different category's.:cool2: I'm pretty sure you will find what you are looking for:wink:

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hm, maybe if you put the slide rig above the swivel and a bobber stop and bead above that. The weight can still break off the swivel , and the stopper will stop the leader and float from traveling up your line.

If the weight ( lighter line ) comes off the leader, it will be stopped by the slide hitting the bottom swivel....might be scary...I dunno.

Dunno either, maybe this will spark some other ideas.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah ive seen that set up before.I dont care to use alot of swivels and knots and all that stuff,to me it hinders bite detection and to many weak spots to break or hang up on.I keep it simple i use a no roll sinker, bead,bobber stop and then my hook.Sometimes ill use a leader if im in a high snag area but i dont use it if i can get away with it.

6. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    hey bill, invest in some sinker slides, you can get them cheap on ebay. run your line through the slide and a bead and tie to a swivel. tie on your leader to the swivel. the sinker slide has a clip so you clip directly to the sinker or you can make a short breakable leader for the sinker.

Joe

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Keep the 3 way or a sinker slide. On the end of the tag end your going to put the sinker. Tie a knot in the line. Then slide the sinker on. Take a slip shot and crimp it above the knot. That way if you get hung up. The sinker will pop the split shot off. Then its easy to add a sinker and split shot and your back in the game.
    Bam was the one that showed me this years ago.
    Pete

8. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    If it was me, I would just stick with the 3-way and use a differently shaped weight. Maybe put a coffee straw between your 3-way and bobber to cut back on a few tangles?

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I totally agree with Joe in a previous response. The sinker slide rigs work best for me. If you tie the weight on with a lighter line, all you will lose is the weight. The bait is free to move around with the current. I just ordered 72 slides off ebay for $13.00 and free shipping. Good luck.

10. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have decided to not use the afore mentioned setup:roll_eyes:. It was a bad idea...but since I have no-roll sinkers, I guess I will just put the no-roll on the mainline -> bead->barrel swivel-> leader-> float then hook. That will pretty much accomplish the same thing as the sinker slide right?

thanks for the advice guys!
    Bill

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    insted of buying sinker slides i use a snap swivel to slide up my line with a sinker, they work just as good and are alot cheaper

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree and have used swivels, but I like the slides---100% mental. You know what I mean.

13. jarhead

jarhead New Member

State:
    ohio
    the set up i think ur trying to get goes like this slide 1 swivel on ur main line tie another to the end of ur main line that has ur leader with the hook on it the other swivel thats just hanging there gets a smaller leader and smaller test line so if it gets hang up u can break it the advantage of this over ur 3 way is the fish can run with it before feeling any resistance

14. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    Bill,

try this out slide a swivel up your line then tie on a second swivel. on the the swivel at the end of your line attach a snelled hook with a small crappie float on it. now on the first swivel you have a few options in the pic i attached i used a duo lock snap, but you can use a length of lighter mono that way if or when it gets snaggedthis should break off and the float on the leader will lift it off the bottom so you can get the rest of your rig back.

Attached Files:

15. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Here is one setup I use. It is similar to your rig. But on that 'mainline' tie you hook and then above that swivel just slide another one through for the dropper rig with the weight. Use a lighter line on the weight and if you get hung up, most times the lighter line will break saving the rest of the rig. Sorry about the picture, I suck at Paint. Let me know if you need any clarifying

Attached Files:

16. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm sold on the sinker slides also. I use the ones from "Team Catfish" that I bought at Dick's Sporting Goods. They are smooth and work perfectly. I use either old wheel weights clipped directly on the slide or use the method Pete mentioned above about sliding a weight on a piece of line and then holding it in place with a split shot (and a knot at the end of the line). The piece of line can be attached to the slide or any other place that suits the situation. Of course, there are plenty of other ways to use them and the 'experimenting' is part of the fun.

Ralph

17. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I've done alot of spillway fishing here in kansas and the way i've set up is just to tie a kahle hook onto the line and leave about a eight inch tag line with the end. then i use a lighter line tied to the tag line with an egg weight tied to the end about 2 foot below the hook. casting slightly down stream and holding the rod tip high you can feel the weight hit the bottom and roll. keeping the rod high you will learn how to feel the weight "settle" to the bottom usually in an area where there is a natural current break that you can't see. These are areas where the fish tend to take advantage of bait that naturally gathers in these breaks anyways. It's hard to exsplain but by keeping presure on the line with the rod will help to keep from snagging and the hook tied strait to the line will hold the bait up and hold it still for the fish to get. Try it you'll be surprised. Also remember you have nothing between you and the hook but your line. Hope this helps.