Quick and stupid hook question

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by harper81, Apr 16, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I am looking on bass pro shops at there baitholder hooks and the have bronze and red. The red 4/0 is a 40 pack and is $3.99 the bronze are 4/0 and come in a 50 pack for the same price. Is there some reason the red has less hooks, but costs the same? A hook is a hook, what does the color matter?

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Creative marketing.
    The color doesn't matter but if they can convince you that red is "special" then they figure you won't mind paying the same for less hooks...W

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I've got a one time deal on some magic beans ........ Seriously, I've wondered the same thing, so it's not a stupid question. There are deffinitely cheap and quality hooks. All other things being equal, I've done great fishing for years without red. I have bought them on occasion only because the particular style of hook I was after was only available in red. I wouldn't go out of my way, or out of my budget for them.

Richard

4. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC

Could not have said it better! If you think red is better then you will get less for more money!

5. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I buy treble hooks in two different colors #4 are red and #2 are bronze. There's no difference in price, and it makes it a bit easier to distinguish between the 2's and 4's at a glance in the box at night.

Jon

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    the reds cost a little more because the have to be anadized.

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    You've already answered your own question, a hook is a hook when it comes to catfishing, color doesn't really matter in my opinion.

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    The "red" hooks cost more to produce..Also, they're getting popular with "those" bass guys....It has to do with the "bleeding" effect....Personally, I think a fish will "smell" blood before it "sees" it....But they're purty...DemoMan

9. Cat-dory

Cat-dory Guest

Them red ones are fer when there is a full moon ! You put em on and when the fish sees um he knows there is a full moon and he wont bite.
    Another good use is fer when fishin Salmon eggs fer dem big Flatheads during the winter spawning runs...thats when using them works best !

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I fish in the dark, I'm pretty sure a flathead can't a red hook at night lol. I'd get the bronze.

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have been using Daiichi Bleeding Bait hooks for some time now. After a while, the red outer coating comes off leaving a bronze-colored hook. I have found no difference before or after the red wears off. The hooks are still the same.

12. Catfish_John1979

Catfish_John1979 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio, U
    I too use the diachi bleeding bait circle chunk lite... only reason i use them is they stay super sharp... the point dont bend.. and they have a bigger gap then the gama circles i was using... like said before.. the red will come off... i dont use them cuze they are red.. just because they dont make the circle chunk lite in anything but red

John

13. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

Tell me your secret for the fish in the photo :cool2: