questions?

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by bigfisher17, Sep 28, 2009.

1. bigfisher17

bigfisher17 New Member

State:
    arizona
    I have a 1989 dodge ramcharger 4x4 and i was hoping some of you guys might have suggestions on how to get more horsepower in my engine? the engine runs fine and everything but it takes it a long time to get it up to speed like when I stop at a light i feel like a bus its sooo slow until it gets goin any suggestions???

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Change the gears in the rear end.

3. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    less restrictive air filter (cold-air intake) as well as less restrictive exhaust. Another cheap way to get some power back that you lose through the drivetrain is go synthetic on your oil, tranny fluid, gearcase oil, and diff fluid..this will reduce friction and give you a little power back that is normally lost through friction...

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    what engine is in it? what transmission? throttle body or carb,both could probably be bigger. Need alot more info,how big of tires do you have on it? tire size can really steal power if too big for the rig. How many miles on the engine? Buy something besides a dodge,that'll help!

5. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
  6. bigfisher17

bigfisher17 New Member

State:
    arizona
    360 engine 5.9liter v8 4x4 all stock

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    A power programmer such as a Superchips will give you a noticeable difference in torque & speed but you'll really gain the benefits if you change the air intake & exhaust system, as others have mentioned.

HTH, Elliot

8. cowboybo

cowboybo Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There is one more thing you need to check.

check and see if somebody has put a stall converter in .

if it's an automatic trans that may be the problem .

bo.

9. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    get a chevy. lol wish i could help ya on this on. upgrade the carb and rear end. what is the gear ratio. could be in the tranny.

10. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If you KNOW the vehicle is completely stock, the first thing I'd check would be the lock-up in the torque converter. What you describe seems to be a lock-up malfunction. It could be something as simple as a wire rubbed bare that leads to the lock-up system. Symptoms of this go two different ways. 1. You accellerate like a dog from a dead stop, or 2. You take off okay, but have little power or torque once you get going above about 45mph.

11. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Sorry it took so long to get back to ya. the first thing I would check is the catalytic converter,which may be plugged enough to crate more backpressure than normal,just put all new exhaust on while your at it and leave the cat out. the non-locking torque converter is another big thing that would cause the same problems,as would partially plugged injectors and about a dozen other things,might be cheapest to take it to a shop for a check-up and diagnosis,then decide to have them fix it or do it yourself if it's something you can handle,saves you from throwing time and money at maybe's.

12. CrazyLencho

CrazyLencho New Member

State:
    Texas
    I own a 87 Ramcharger. Its g been my project as well as our new fishing camping rig. Go to ramchargercentral.com they got tons of info.

13. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I have a '90 dodge van with the same size engine that is also acting sluggish. I got rid of the cat converter and put a turbo muffler on it. With the help of a friend last summer we changed the tranny filter and fluid. I drove it a few days then took it to my usual oil change place and had the tranny pumped out until the fluid was completely clean. I'd really like to know what you guys mean by less restrictive air intake. I need to replace the speedo sensor which I have a new one because the speedometer rarely does anything now so I can't tell how fast it is going. It just seems really sluggish. I'm considering using amsoil products in it this spring.

14. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Superchips only goes back to 1998 his was a 1989

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    hum im going to have to check that out our durango shifts like poo in to top gear and if i push the overdrive off button it gets cornfused that may be why thanks.

16. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    well big guy without driving his truck it,s hard to tell i myself would like to know tire size you have on there and if it has overdrive?? if the tire size is stock 235/75/15 and no overdrive i would opt out for some bigger exhaust go to 2-1/2 inch from the manifolds back and would highly consider putting headers on it also with some free flow mufflers. i would also consider updating to a 4bbl carb and intake. and possibly a slightly bigger camshaft eldelbrock has complete kits if you can spend that much? and a cheap way of getting a hiar more is to bump up the timing a lil but not too much . it,ll make it hard to start and tend to over heat. but a few degrees wouldnt hurt. but just remember an engine is just a big air pump the more it takes in the more it needs to let out. and the freeer the flow the better. hope this helps god bless