Questions on using a Slip Bobber Rig?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Sep 5, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    For anyone that has any questions on using the slip bobber rig for Catfish, I have just done an article that is in the "Featured Article" section here on the site.

Here is the link -

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27798

I hope it helps!

Zakk:smile2:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

That was a good post Zakk, I will have to rep you later on it. They took my magic dust away for the rest of the night.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Glad you like it, I hope it helps answer some of the questions I have seen. I have used the Slip Bobbers over this summer and have had pretty good success with them, I didn't even get a bite on the bottom, only on the bobber.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That was a great article. I've had all my luck this year using them.The 22.7lb flattie I got Fri. night was with one.Reps comin your way!!!

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    That was an excellent description of using slip bobbers or floats for catfishing. A couple of weeks ago, of the 17 channel cats I caught, 10 were from slip rigs. I've been using fixed split shot weights, but otherwise rig like you explain. Guess I'll have to try the slip weights also.

I do have one question. Usually, when I drift fish using a bobber, I have problems with the line eventually drifting back to the point where it may cross one of my other lines...usually have 4 lines out, two on bottom, two at different levels. Do you have any magic potion for keeping the drifting bobber from crossing a line? It usually happens when I'm reeling in a fish on another line or have to tend another line. My boat is on the small side, a 29.5" wide kayak, but the rod holders with my float lines are set pretty far out from the bottom lines.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hmm, I have had trouble myself with the bobbers drifting together. I was using one Drift Sock and it was happening real bad, then I got another Drift Sock and it helped a ton, I put one off the front and one off the back and drift sideways with the wind, my pole holders go all the way down one side of my boat, it's only 14ft. Between my dad and I we usually have about 6 or 7 bobbers out, and 4 poles on the bottom.

I really don't know how to help you much because I haven't even figured it out myself too great. I just try to keep the side of the boat facing into the wind as directly as possible. Do you use a drift sock, or have you tried it?

Zakk

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I use a drift sock also, though lost mine the other day, didn't have a float on it and let go when I had it unhooked in order to unhang a catfish. Will be getting another and it will have a float attached. Unfortunately, sidways drifting isn't the best from my kayak, which is almost 14 ft long. Two of my rodholders are stationary and won't go sideways.

I may try two drift socks as I want to slow my drift anyway. I'm also building a rudder to better direct my kayak as I drift. Its not always easy to hold over the depth of water I want, even with the sock, the kayak will drift out of the line I set for the drift.

8. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good informative post, thanks.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh, I see. We lost a drift sock last month also, rope broke and we didn't have float on ours eithier. I hope you can figure out a way to get straight drifts.

Zakk

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    As I drift backwards, I'm thinking about hooking up a bicycle mirror so I can keep track of where I'm going. The overdrift isn't much, but grows as you keep drifting down the channel.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That sounds like a good idea, you need to see where you are drifting so you can adjust to drift the right area's.

12. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Katmaster,are You Sure That Your Not A Genius??? Lmao

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well I wish I was...LMAO I think a lot of us could contribute to the article section here if we try, I have done a good amount of them already and plan on doing many more, I hope that others will try to do the same.

14. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Zakk, you will make a great fishing guide one day.
    When you become a guide,let me know so I can come down and let you take me fishing brother.

AL

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks Al, I plan on doing it one day for sure, but first I do want to get a job in one of the fishing magazines, plan on taking Journalism in College, maybe I will be a guide and do the magazine job at the same time, if not I will do the guide thing when I retire. And of course I would love to fish with you no matter what, I wish you could make the gathering, maybe the next one.

Zakk

16. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I believe that you could start your own fishing magazine and become quite famous. Maybe you should talk to Paul about doing a magizine for the BOC.
    I see you being very successful for doing a BOC magazine.

MAybe if they do a national gathering in Missouri sometime, I could make it.
    Have fun and good luck at the National gathering little brother.

AL

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well that is a good goal for me! LOL! It would be cool to have a BOC fishing magazine, I think it's a good idea.

Thanks brother.

Zakk

18. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Zakk, if you land a job with one of the big daily papers or a good national or regional magazine as a fishing writer, you won't have time to guide. you'll be too busy traveling the world fishing, or your region, all at someone elses expense. Hope you are a hunter also, that helps with outdoor writing jobs. Look into the U of Missouri for jounalism, one of, if not the best.

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok, I see. I don't Hunt and don't plan on ever doing it, just not my thing, I just love to fish. My grandpa was a writer and took Journalism in college, he gives me advice sometimes and is always happy to help me, and I'm thankful for that. He has helped me since I was little. I love to write, not just about fishing, but about basically anything.

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Bringing this up to the top again.