Questions on outfitting boat

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by chrisatrpm, Jul 8, 2009.

1. chrisatrpm

chrisatrpm New Member

State:
    missouri
    Whats everyone's thoughts on a good anchor for use in the Mississippi? My Chene anchor has proven to not be enough, any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Also, I'm looking at 45* pro driftmaster rod holders, if anyone has an opinion good or bad I'd like to hear it.
    The boat in question in a procat 240 and the area I plan on fishing is around Plattin rock.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I do think I might have met you while I was looking for bait just down from Platin about 10 days ago. If so, thanks for the bluegill, bait was next to impossible to find that evening.

Anyway, many of the folks here make their own or have someone make it for them. I use the Digger from Cabela's.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...h-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
    Never had any problems in the 7 years I have been using it.

3. chrisatrpm

chrisatrpm New Member

State:
    missouri
    Where you w/ Gary? If so that was me. Hope you had better luck w/ that bait than we did.

4. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    I wouldn't go w/ the 45* PRO take a look at the Pro Flatliners & Double duo's. Make your own ancors graple styles work best.

5. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Justin do you have any pictures of your anchors??

Randy

6. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i will post a pic. in the morn. of the one i have. many on here has made the same thing from it. it will cost you about ten bucks or less to build

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Regardless of which driftmaster you go with I would at least stick with the 1/2" models, the 3/8" just aren't beefy enough for the river. I had one snap in half on a monster slam. I personally like the driftmaster duo's.

Another option for an anchor is the one Marty (Mr T.)made, it's in the library. They are compact and store easily and hold pretty darn good in the Mississippi. Made out of lead and rebar, finished weight will be around 26-28 lbs. I have used those for two years and they work well.

Just picked one up from Catfish Safari that is a good one also but it will run you about $69. Depends if you want to go cheap or pay for one. They can get expensive after you lose a few.

Welcome to the BOC!

8. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I made my own and it is the same style of russ's. No matter how bad the current is it works great.

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

I use that style as well and have been for the last two years. Even holds in mud and sand if you throw it out in a certain way! :wink: Mine weighs approximately 40 pounds though

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yeah you can make them as heavy as you wish by pouring more lead in the bowl.

But WHO, besides you, can even pull a 40 lb anchor in the current!!!???:eek:oooh:

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I could pull it Skip. But I aint gonna. Unless I am fishin with brother Rat. Then I will be happy to pull that sucker. :wink:

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I could pull it too I would imagine.......a total of about twice and then I'd be done for the rest of the day.:eek:oooh: I don't want to work that hard fishing!:smile2: (unless it's pulling in Cats)

13. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I remember when i went fishing with rat, he had been pulling the anchor effortlessly. The first time i go to pull it up I am working like a dog to get the thing to the boat. Now rat is a big dude but I am no little weakling myself, but i was having a hell of a time getting this anchor to the boat. So rat comes up to help me and we get it into the boat. Well to my relief there was about 10 foot of inch and a half steel cable stuck on it.

14. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Chris,
    We met the same day you saw Cutter and Grump out. I was in the other pro Cat. I have the driftmaster pro Trollers 45deg in my boat. I wouldn't have anything else in it. The 45 deg works well across the back deck and I thing the rod loads more when you get a takedown. I have 4 of them with the 8" stems across the deck and 2 in the outside rail with the standard length stems. I also have 2 more on the rails in the front of the boat. Next time you are down this way you can take a look at the seyup if you like.
    As far as anchors go you may talk to Grump about his anchors he makes. I have one and it works on the procat in currend that 24oz. sinkers won't keep you line on the bottom. I think he gets about $50- $60 for them.

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Swampy, who is this Cutter person you were referring to?:wink:

16. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Despite being the highly trained observer that I am I'm having a hard time finding the homemade anchor by Mr T. in the library. Does anyone have it bookmarked? My wife would tell you that I could not find my a$$ with both hands.:wink:

17. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
  18. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks, Ed!! That is what I was thinking of but wanted to make sure. I think I'm gonna make one of these this weekend. I've got a 30lb Richtor (sp?) right now that holds just so so. These look like the trick. Plus if I can remember right I paid about 80 bucks for the richtor. A fella could make a lot of these for 80 clams.

19. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Chris, next time your at the boat club, check out my anchor. It will fit in your anchor locker, and most the grapple style anchors wont. Not to mention they are too bulky for my taste. I sell them cheaper than you can get a junk anchor for at bass pro. If your going the cheap or free route, Id make up a lead anchor, that is, if you have enough lead.:wink:

20. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    rat i will gladly pull ur anchor for u when u take me out:big_smile: