Questions on jugfishing

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by kyredneck, Jul 27, 2008.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hello, just wonderin if any of you jugheads would care to take time to give me the pros and cons of jugfishing?

I've fished the KY River for goin on 40 yrs and I've never tried nor do I recollect ever seeing it done on this pool where I fish. Lots of limbliners and trotliners but no jugfishermen here. Wonder why no one around here does it? We missin out on sumthin?

Jugfishing is a hot topic on this forum right now, is it just the right time of year or has there been some new methods or technology that has made them particularly effective?

Thanks.

2. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    A definite CON in my jug fishing is that I seem to be guilty of setting too deep. I have most of my 20 jugs with over 21 foot of line. I know this time of the summer these fish will probably be deep on deep/clear water lakes like I fish in Arkansas. I have caught a few small fish this way, but the con is I do hang up when it drifts. With all the high water we have had since the spring, there is a lot of brush down there that had eaten a lot of my hooks/sinkers.
    I am starting to re-set some of my lines shorter.
    A PRO is with longer lines, I have multiple hooks. I learned this from Jtrew, a BOC member. He has several hooks on each jug line. You will need to read your state regulations on how many hooks each drop can have, if there is indeed a regulation on numbers of hooks.
    Good luck,
    ccat

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi,
    I love jugging, Its a fun way to catch fish. I start with a milk jug. I put my info on them cause the DNR in Ga will take them. In Ga you can have 50 or less hooks. At 51 hooks you gotta buy a Commercial Fishing Lic.

The best line for me is a good nylon string,lead egg type sinker and a circle hook. If its windy and blowing the juggs fill the jug with about 1/4 full of water.

Bait can be about anything, live or cut shad,bream,bluebacks,worms,livers,gizzard and even drum.

Try to find out the depth of the water and adjust you hook depth according to your target area.

It real funny to be set up and and all of a sudden one those juggs goes underwater and take off at a dead sprint.

Its kinda like a smaller version of the barrel part of the movie in Jaws!

You should try it!

You increase your chances of catching fish by increasing the hooks!

I hope this helps.

Brian

4. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Jug fishing is fun, I like to throw out about twenty jugs then go find me a good shade tree and do some bluegill fishing, every now and then I look out and make sure they are ok, Once they start getting outta eye site I'll go round um up and throw them in a new area. sometimes they'll have fish on or the bait will be gone. If there's a fish on its alot of fun chasing the jug, Problems with jug fishing, You got to make sure its legal on the day you plan to jug, here in Tennessee you can't jug on some holiday's , Like the fourth of july and some other holiday's , Where there might be alot of Recreation Boater's out.
    other problems, getting the lines to deep and getting them hung up.
    or two shallow. I like to keep mine close to the bottom, some people like to have them at different depths..well thats about all I think of ..hope this helps.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Larry, I think you'll find that any jugfisher on the board will be more than happy to help you any way he or she can. Please feel free to ask me any questions you have. To help you determine specific questions you may want to ask, try doing a search on 'jugfishing', with the 'show threads' option checked. Read the threads, and make note of any questions you can think of while reading the posts. Then ask us those specific questions. One thing you'll notice, if you already haven't, is that there's always more than one way to do something. That's because of personal preference and because of the different ways people jugfish. Different size and types of jugs; shallow or deep hooks...or both; cut bait or live bait; lake or river; freefloating or anchored. These are just some of the variations you'll find in jugfishing. You'll have to do some experimenting to see what suits your personal needs best.

6. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina

Theres a milion ways to jug and catch fish, and probably all of them are effective and productive. My suggestion to you is when you set your jugs out as a beginner dont run off from them. If you just back off 100 to 200 yds and just drift with them to help keep an eye on them would be best i believe. A lot of fisherman are starting to throw hissy fits around here about juggers than run off away from their jugs. Our technique has always been to throw jugs out let them sit for an hour then pull a drive by and see if any fish are on, then re-set the jugs if theyve blown too far. Stay away from high traffic areas, and we like fishing with shorter jugs. Anywhere from 3 ft. to 15 ft long and play the wind, and let them drift over different debts in the water. You'll soon learn where your getting your hits and where to relocate jugs your next set. I'm no pro by any means but if you have any questions and want to ask me feel welcome, cause we're out on the water doing it every weekend and are still fine tuning.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Read your regs! I don't know about Kentucky, but in Arkansas, you are required to 'attend' your freefloating jugs at all times during daylight hours; they may be unattended from dusk to dawn. Jugging on the river, my jugs may get strung out so that I can't see all of them at one time while going around a bend, but I'm constantly running from one end of the string to the other, looking for jugs that have gotten hung up or stranded in slack water. I pick those up and drop them back in at the head of the string. The idea is to keep them in a manageable size bunch. After I'm through fishing and have picked up all the jugs in the bunch, if I find that I'm short one or two jugs, we all watch carefully on the way back upriver to do our best to locate them. We usually do.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks you all for responding to my request. I wasn't asking so much how to jugfish as much as I was why jugfish. This post by Jerry, which describes the general application of it, kinda sorta tells me what I wanted to know.

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks to you too Tom; this gives me the general idea also.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    illinois law also states that the sportfisherman must hold a valid sportfishing liscense and must be in the immed control of the jugs meaning on that body of water to identify them to law inforcemant to enforce the code.

as far as why. well if i was gonna host a fish fry for family holiday or something thats a way to put fish in the freezor. as far as for catch and release. ill stick to a rod. but some juggers release too. seen a vid on youtube tonight guys were releasing them.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There can be a number of reasons to jugfish, some obvious, some you might not think of. Obviously, it's a good way to stock up your freezer; just be sure to practice CPR on the big fish, and the ones you can't eat. It's a great fishing technique to use when you have kids along, because it's generally much faster fishing than when using just a rod & reel; keeps the kids busier. If you're one of those people who just love to watch a float go under, you'll probably go nuts over jugfishing. It's like having a whole bunch of floats out there for you to watch; and when two or three start 'flagging' at the same time, your heart rate sure goes up! In some places, where you don't have to constantly watch your jugs, you can put out some jugs in a cove or backwater, go fish with rod & reel, and check on the jugs every hour or two. While a depthfinder can show you spots where there should be fish, and even show you if fish are there, only hooks and bait will tell you if that's a good place to fish or not. Jugs are one of the best honeyhole finders I know of. I've got a number of them on the river that I've found with my jugs, and using anchored jugs at good looking spots can tell you whether or not fish are biting there. I've found some good spots where I didn't expect to, and found that some awfully good looking spots just didn't produce fish. Saves time when I want to go out with a rod & reel. Not everyone will enjoy jugfishing. That's perfectly all right, there's nothing else that everyone enjoys, so why should jugfishing be any different? Think about it a minute. Not everyone enjoys using a spinning reel...or a baitcaster; not everyone enjoys using a float...or fishing on the bottom; not everyone enjoys fishing rivers...or lakes; not everyone enjoys using the same bait, or even fishing for the same species of catfish. And, as I said, that's perfectly all right. It's all fishing...to each his own.

12. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Here's what I can tell you 50 jugs total w/out commercial license per boat ! 1 hook per jug . I use 3 to5 ft drops . Quart oil jugs . Now for the pro's and con's . Pro's Lotta fun to run them down. Can be productive Can cover lots of water. The problem on ky river is lack of current to move jugs. at least above boonsboro in summer . Seems like if you don't stay with them your fish gets stolen sometimes . :sad2: I've got jugs rigged up but haven't been able to go allspring or summer . Can't afford a new motor for my boat and my trolling motor can't run them down . Use circle hooks and have a fun night out . If you ever wanna try in the Richmond area I'll let you use my jugs just send me a pm

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Lack of current; makes perfect sense. At least this time of year.

Appreciate the offer but it looks like any serious fishing is over for me for a while.

Reps to ya.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Honey hole finder, I would've never thought about that.

To each his own. Amen. I love America!

Thanks Jerry, I tried to rep, but gotta spread some more.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Lance, how much barge traffic do you get on the river when there's no current? If there's a significant amount, you might try fishing where the discharge water from the lock comes out below the dam. It may not last long, but that violent current can sometimes trigger a feeding spell.

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Zero barge traffic . There are a couple of feeder creeks that have a little current not much though . Below the dam has some current but that to doesn't provide much current in summer maybe a mile but I even doubt that . Thanks for the idea though !:smile2:

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There's 14 locks & dams on the KY River. I've been told that by the time the 14th lock was built all of them upstream from Lock 4 were already obsolete because they were too small for the barges they were using; but I can remember some barges docked at different places when I was a kid. The Corps of Engineers sealed the locks and shut them down in the early 80's. They also stopped dredging the river.

18. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I started trying them when I didn't have trees, stumps, limbs to put limb lines on.

I did find another interesting thing about using them for channel cats. When I've got kiddos in the boat with me (99% of the time :p) they make for a lot of fun. I was putting a trot line out once and dropped 3 jugs with 4/0 hooks baited with weenies nearby while me and the oldest were stringing the trotline. The two little ones had the job of watching the jugs. I had to paddle to the jugs three times to get channel cats before I got the trotline to the other tree! You talk about a bunch of squealing and squawking when those jugs would go to bouncing around. I tried to explain to them the fish would still be there after I got the trotline strung out but they weren't having no part of that. Those were their jugs and we had to go get those fish off right away! :smile2:

edit: oops I see jtrew mentioned the kid thing. They do get a big kick out of it when the bite is good :)

19. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina

HAHAHAHAHA........thats funny because i usually have a group of grown men on my boat and they act the same way. "Lets go we got to go get them now"......usually when im driving around picking up our stringer of jugs, ill make them wait and pick up some empty ones to get a little work done before i let them bask in the glory of a fish on a jug ......LOL!!

20. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    LOL :)