Questions on first catfish trip...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by nralover, May 16, 2007.

1. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I am going on my first nightime trip this weekend, and wondered if you all could get me started in the right direction. I bought my wife and I both a new rod and reel, but what is the ideal bait? I want to catch fish, but I am trying to keep it simple at first. I thought perhaps a large egg sinker behind a sturdy swivel, with a short leader and some bluegill as cutbait would be good but I'd love to hear from all you savvy veterans if there is a better option. Thanks in advance, NRA

2. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That sounds like an excellent combo to me!!!

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Go to your local grocery store and pick up some uncooked shell on shrimp. Most of the time you can get them cheaper than night crawlers. They are easy to store and you can refreeze them. I've had great luck with them, when nothing else worked. Of course I'm from Michigan.
    Hook them right in the middle. The shell helps to keep them on the hook. And the are messy to work with. Give them a try.
    Sparky

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    We talkin lake or river here. Sounds like ya are on the rite track with the carolina rig other than the egg sinker. All they will do is roll if ya are fishin a river and ya will start cussin. What kinda cat are ya gonna target? The shrimp suggested will certainly drive the channels nuts. If the Mrs. is goin with ya make sure you brief her on the bugs. LOL!

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I'm with george here the eeg sinker is a lake sinker current wil move that thing. The bugs can be very bad this time of year at night.If your looking to catch channels the ablove baits and liver, worms dip baits as well will do ok. Blues will want fresh cut baits, and the flats will want live bait.

6. langstaff

langstaff New Member

State:
    tennessee
    sounds like your on right track, take some shrimp also.

7. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I will be lake fishing this time. I do some river fishing once in awhile- what type of rig works best in the river?

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I have find a no-roll sinker to work the best thats all I use and they will set in lots of current. I have them for sale here on the BOC for members if you can't find them around your home shops

9. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey don't forget to grab a thing of chicken livers. they sure are messy but they work.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U got the right idea. Just get out there catch em.

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    The perch is a great idea. I'd also grab some shrimp like was suggested and/or some danny king's punch bait. It's awful hard to beat a good mess of channel cats caught on dk punch bait.

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    cut or live bait is going to be hard to beat for big flatheads. try the chicken livers and shrimp as well. if you get really bored tke some crawlers with you and try catching more bait, thats always more fun that not catching anything at all. good luck and have a good trip