Questions on buying a used outboard

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Wabash River Bear, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I will soon be in the market for a used outboard. Preferably a 25 to 35 hp. two stroke, longshaft tiller. What brands seem to hold up the best, and have less issues? What is an acceptable compression ratio? How about the difference in compression between cylinders? Is there a way to check the water pump? How about shifting and the condition of the lower unit? Can anyone give me any more things to check (and how), or things to watch out for? I've seen motors advertised that have been sitting in storage for long periods of time (years), any comments on these? Any help will be appreciated.:cool2:

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would go with a merc or johnson or Yahama, There are some other brands but on some of them parts are way expensive. The compression needs to be withn 10 % of each other. I would want it at least 105 or a little better on each cylinder. You can't have one cylinder at 85 and the other at 110 it just doesn't work right and the lower cyli8nder has something wrong.
    As for impeller if the seller hasn't kept records then the best thing is to replace the whole water pump and start where you know it is good. As for sitting it doesn't hurt the motor per say but you will have to rebuild the carbs for sure if it has set over a year. Replace all the fuel lines.
    Lower unit , take the lower drain screw out and look at the color of the oil. Milky means water, Metal piecies present then just walk away from it because the lower unit is going to have to be rebuilt. I my self don't give no whole lot for a motor that has sat for a long period and I can't hear run.

You can drain the carbs and put in new fuel and put them in a barrel and start them and let them run for a min.

Over the years the most famous words I have heard is well it ran good last time I was out. Kinda like the check is in the mail. But a good compression and spark test is a must because without good compression all you will have is a large trot line weight.

3. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How about using a set of muffs? Just wondering because it would be more convenient than a barrel. Good post good response.

Wooly

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Lynn The reason I use a barrell is because I want to know if it will start with the unit under water pressure. The muffs just don't do that because they force water into the block and I want the lower unit to work that for me.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I am looking for a new rig and have decided on a mercy or yamaha

6. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Go with a merc but you will probably want a johnson LOL .:cool2:

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Barry I bought a 10 year old 25hp Johnson 2 stroke from a dealer in 03 and am very happy with it.It was a trade in and I made the dealer run it and I checked out the foot before buying it.To check out the foot about all you can do is drain the foot to check for water and if there is any the seals are bad so don't buy it then turn the prop by hand and put your ear aganst the foot and listen,you shouldn't hear any thing but gears turning and if you hear anything else(grinding ect.) don't buy it.