Questions from a novice

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Randync, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok Ive fished all my life but until the last year or so, I was the type to go get whatever rod/reel was on sale at Kmart or whatever, grab some nightcrawlers and fish for whatever I could catch, 5 or 6 times a year. Now I really want to get into some serious catfishing.
    I love my good ole Zebco 33 but got a baitcaster for fathers day and am currently learning how to get backlashes out of it lol. Ive read alot of posts here and seen answers to most of my questons, but Im going to ask a few posibly dumb ones of you NC guys and Gals.
    I bank fish, Mostly Lookout Shoals lake (near Hickory) or below the dam there in the Catawba River, sometimes upper Lake Norman near Catawba. The biggest Cat Ive caught was maybe 6-7 pounds, and that was in a creek 20 years ago or so.
    1 Chicken Liver. What is the best way to keep it on a hook. Ive done better draping it over a trebble hook but still lose alot of it.
    2 Beef Liver- Does it work as bait? my mom said it would probably stay on a hook better. I love the way Chicken Gizzards stay on but have had one bite using them, and I think it was a turtle.
    3 Store bought catfish bait. Does any of it work. Seems like once a year I buy some, and never get a bite.
    4 Using bream, is it ok to freeze it then use it later? Seems like when I catch Bream it's with the kids and we are not really catfishing. When I try to catch them for bait, I dont catch any.
    5 What is the quickest, most humane way to kill a Cat? Maybe Im a wuss but I don't like to see them skinned alive, and my Girlfriend would nail them to a tree and do it, if I would let her. So I usually just leave him out of water until he dies which isn't too fun for him either. She says she can't skin them with the head cut off. I don't eat em so I don't skin them.
    Also any general tips would be great. I don't have to catch a 40 pounder (would be real nice though) if I can just catch a few eating size cats on a regular basis, I can fish more without alot of stress from my girlfriend. She has back problems and don't fish much anymore, though she used to love it.
    Thanks in advance for any help you guys/gals can provide. This is a great site and Ive already learned alot.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

just to offer my opinions on your questions
    1 chiken liver you can use panty hose or cure them ( see library ) both work well. Panty hose is easier in my opinon cut a piece 4"x4" place your livers inside and tie the corners together.
    2beef liver I hear it works but have never tried it
    3 blue gills I only use fresh I have never tried frozen
    4 killing cats if you must do it quickly for eaters I use a club and whack one good shot is all it takes. It may sound cruel but I would rather do that than have them die slowly sitting in a cooler full of ice. Large cats I don't keep CPR and return to fight another day.
    Hope this helps you some I am sure other brothers will be putting in better advice than I did, the pool runs deep here and most of these guys have got a lot of gray matter between their ears.

3. 1. Chicken liver is tough. Generally you need to run it through a couple times and cast "softly". A rod with a soft tip is better as you can "lob" it better than a stiffer rod that "whips" it off the hook. Spinning gear has always worked bettter for me in lobbing baits than casting gear. Other things to try are wrapping the liver in a small piece of pantyhose and closing the nylon pouch with the hook. I have seen others use sewing thread and tie it on the hook as well. Many on here "cure" their liver with and without added attractants. It is basically a drying process. Check the archives for info on curing livers. If you can find it in your local baitshops try rooster livers they are tougher and stay on the hook better. Turkey liver if available is reported to be good on a hook as well.
    2.Beef liver works but not as well as chicken liver. Tends to bleed out faster. It also gets soft quickly if left out so it needs to be kept chilled.
    3.Yes, storebought works though not as well as the advertisors would have you believe. Also channel cats and bullheads seem to be the most susceptable to "stinkbaits". Flatties are an apex predator and really do prefer to hunt down and eat live prey though they are not above taking an easy meal of cut or dead bait. Blues are more open water oriented and are similar to stripers in that they will follow and feed on schools of shad. They too like live bait but cut bait and dead bait works as well. One of the things that has to be taken into consideration with storeboughts is that most of them are some sort of dough or paste. Water just dilutes these so rebaiting often is the rule and moving water dilutes even faster. I ordinarily do not use storebought bait but on those occasions when I have it seems location is very important.
    4. Frozen bream is better than no bream. If I had to use frozen bream I would use it as a cut bait, particularly the gut pocket to get some scent in the water. The lack of oily scent is the downfall of using frozen/cut/dead bream. Shad and skipjack are much much better baits if you have to store it frozen. Both of these fish are oily and ooze this oil into the water to draw in the cats. Though shad gets soft once frozen. Live bream is my go to bait as live bream on a hook is an active bait. I definitely think it is this motion that attracts cats.
    5. A sharp blow to the top of the head will either kill or stun a cat. Personally if they are big enough to skin I don't want them dead until they have been bled out. Hang them up and slice then at the tail to the bone on both sides. Let them bleed out as this leaves no blood in the meat. Your girlfriend is on the right track, a nail through the head will do one in as well. Medium size fish get filleted so they get a fillet knife in the heart. Place the blade just above the pectoral fins insert to the backbone and slice up and down until the blood flows. Let it bleed out. Small ones (whole fryers) get the same treatment.

Welcome to the BOC. If you have the time you really need to try and read as much as you can in the archives. Lots of good stuff in there.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Randy, You've already gotten some good information. I'll add more about prepared baits. I am sold on Danny King Punch Bait and Looper Rigs to hold it with.
    http://www.dannykingbait.com/

http://www.loopersrigs.com/main.html

In general you will catch smaller fish using this than you would using shad or skipjack but I have had really good luck it on the smaller ones. I think about 6 pounds is the biggest I've caught on DK but I'm sure others have caught some bigger. It is also a clean and easy bait to use and Loop had developed the very best thing you will find to hold a sticky bait. Check out their sites and search the library and see what you think.

ST

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Randy, I would like to add something. Fresh livers stay on the hook better than frozen. If you have to use frozen then tie it in pantyhose.

6. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for all the info guys. And I do plan to release any big cats I may catch. I don't eat fish so I used let em all go, except for good sized bream or trout from time to time for my mom. But my GF said if I go I need to bring back some fish. Ive been intending to use bream as live bait if I ever catch any when Im actually going catfishing.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If your having trouble catching bream with worms you may want to try Gulp Maggots I have been having good luck with them when all else fails.

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    These guys gave you some great info. Just my 2 cents for ya.

1) Chicken Liver....Cured, set out in sun for a few hours with Salt and Garlic Powder coated. Sticks on the hook good and the Garlic Helps attract the cats. Just use my hahle hook after it is cured.

2) Beef Liver....I have tried it with no success. I have caught absolutly nothing on Beef Liver.

3) Store bought bait.....I have more luck with Hog Wild Premo and Looper Rigs then any other bait. You will find that different baits work in different areas. Good luck with trial and error here. Look in your state section and someone may be posting on what works in their area.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sorry, half awake and accidently his post......here is the rest

4) Frozen Bream....I have not had much luck with Frozen Gills, but like others said, it would be better to have then none at all. I have alot better results with Frozen Shad, but fresh Cut Shad is the Best bait in my opinion.

5) Best way to kill a cat....I usually hit mine with a 22 as they walk on the front porch....LMAO (Wrong Cat and I really dont do this, but would love too)
    There is a section on top of the head that if you dig your knife into it will basically kill them instantly.

Good luck on the water brother and there is some great advice in the above posts.

10. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    1.i use sewing thread...hook your chicken liver and wrap it about 7 or 8 times then break it off
    2.beef liver...0 sucess

all i can help with for now...hope it helps

11. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the help guys. I went fishing today and the most interesting thing I saw was a SUV flipped over in the woods, tag taken off and the driver long gone lol. Watched one of the kids catch 4 nice bream while I caught silly little rock bass.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    1 Chicken Liver...I hate it! Every couple of years I buy some for bait to "try out". After one cast I remember why I hate it. It is hard to cast, and the fish inhale it and get throat hooked.

2 Beef Liver- Does it work as bait? Never used it myself.

3 Store bought catfish bait. Does any of it work? Yes, it is great for catching a gob of small fish.

4 Using bream, is it ok to freeze it then use it later? I have caugth fish using frozen bream, and I have had days where I dit not catch that many with frozen bream. I prefer fresh bream, but I am ok using frozen bream if that is all I have time to get. One day I am going to take out some frozen bream and freshly caught bream and do a test to see how big the difference is.

5 What is the quickest, most humane way to kill a Cat? If you are planning to keep them to eat, throw them on ice as soon as you catch them.

13. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Went fishing tonight, didn't catch a single fish during about 3 hours of trying. I did however catch some poor soul's baitcaster. Fishing off a dock, and pulled up a forked stick, tangled on the end of the stick there was a baitcaster on about a 7 foot pole.