questions for those that fish Lacygne

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catfish Pursuit, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have fished out there a bunch but always targeted white bass and crappie. I hear rumors all the time that there are big flatheads there. Anyone have any luck fishing there for blues and flatheads? Thanks! Chris

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I've been hearting rumors theres been some nice cats caught at the local café, But can not verify this. tomorrow I am going to do a little scouting and I'll check with the local bait stores and ask around at the marina also. I'll let you know what I find out.
    Some thing that I like about this time of year, Here around the water its pretty common to see a Bald Eagle or 2.​

3. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    I caught a 12 lb. flat head late last year on the feeder creek flats. Over the years I have caught a lot of eaters out of this lake. Down by the Marina boat ramp they keep a blue 55 gallon drum of rock salt for people to use on the ramp.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan

5. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    mid march to mid april is good time to fish for flatheads at lacynge start at the discharge and work your way back the creek to the south. live bait works the best but at the dischagre a 1-1/2 0z jighead with a 4-6 inch sassy shad can produce alot of fish. late october to january try the creek channels on the upper third of the lake at night. there are huge flatheads in lacynge but numbers are down since they let trotlinning there, there are blues there to, but are far and few between and rarely over 20 lbs

6. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    In April of 06&07 we would go up to the hot water discharge and fish the evenings out of the boat, it was not uncommon to catch and release 5 to 10 flatheads in the 15 to 30lb range on a good evening.
    Our best for the lake was a fifty in April 06, the last two years have not been near as good, I agree that the trot lines have seemed to have an effect on them.

7. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Josh what bait worked best for you then? always looking for input on the hot water discharges. Thanks for the post.​

8. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    Jay we always used bluegills and shad it seemed to work the best. we always had our best luck on the jetty side about two booies in..

9. ZachDinicola

ZachDinicola Member

State:
    Greatbend/Hays
    I walked in and fished of the face of the wall to the right of the orange bouie things.. used some dough bait with a 1/0 hood and took a dip tube and cut it in tubes. caught about 15 channels all but a few were eating size.. but no hawgs =(

10. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    Plannin on taking the boat to lacygne on friday with a buddy, The fishing report said they were catching some blues at the hot water outlet. It will atleast give me a chance to try out my new 7ft cast net!

11. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Josh, Sounds like a great plan. Hope you have a good time. Let me know what time you'll be there and maybe I'll come by and say hello. ​

12. richard s

richard s New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have caught plenty of nice ones over the years while bass fishing. Crankbaits, jerkbaits in the winter and spring in the hot water discharge. A friend of mine caught a 48# a few years along the bluff on a bass jig. They are in there!!

13. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I'm a little confused about La Cygne setup. I've duck hunted out there a number of times, but never really fished it.

Is the hot water outlet on the SE side of the lake? As in, you put your boat in off the ramp off 2400 road then just go south in that water till you get to the power plant?

If I remember right, you cant get to the main lake if you launch from that ramp, your stuck inside that area. Is that where the hot water outlet is at? I've never gone very far back in there, just to the cove bc thats where the ducks hang out.

On the ENE side of the lake, I know there is another area with some rocks around it that they let water out of, but not sure if thats the hot water outlet.

Any help would be much appreciated! (maps are always good too!)

14. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    We always put in at the Marina ramp which I believe you take 2400rd to get there, the hot water outlet is on the ne side of the lake, it is at the end of the rock jetty that runs along the east side of the lake. We also used another ramp up north in the creek arm that you can get too from 399th road, it was pretty smooth sailing to get to the hot water outlet from there.

15. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks for the info. Thats what I was thinking, but I guess the place everyone duck hunts at is considered the cooling pond, not the discharge.

Gonna try our luck there this wkend hopefully. Prolly throw the net up around those rocks for some shad and see if we cant hammer some cats.