Questions for the brain trust.

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Aug 22, 2008.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    I know with the low flow of the upper James that the water on the lower is more brackish and crabs make their way up and I have even heard a buddy durring the big drought several years ago catching small flounder up this far (DG area).....my question is
    Do you guys notice this affecting the big blues in their patterns?

2. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    the flounder was a tiny one, caught in a cast net....

My other ? is ...Do the fish stay away from the powerplant area because of the extreme hot water discharge, do they go downriver or up to get away from the heat?

sorry for messed up post, I tried to edit but it said time ran out:confused2:

3. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    to tell you the truth i think the hot water is a good place to fish becouse we pulled out a 45 pound 7 ounce blue and a 37 pound blue from the point by 295 bridge

4. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    Nice fish guys, thanks for the info. That water is so very hot I was just wondering if people stayed away from that area.

5. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    ha...I caught a tiny flounder a few weeks ago in swift creek...in swift creek! I was floored that it was in there.:eek:oooh:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    We get small croakers,blues and weakfish up in the Delaware in late summer. All I can say is the channels feed on em. LOL! :wink:

7. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    Where abouts in Swift creek........?

Still looking for some info on the extremely hot water coming from the dutch gap power plant...

8. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    The hot water discharge is a sprinkler pit in the back....down the old river channel...I have seen it over a 100 back there...and yes the baitfish love the warm water....The cats will come up in there to feed.....The striper bite there in the winter or early spring is great....I have caught big flatheads on crankbaits there too......great place to fish ,but have someone show you through there..very shallow and it is an old barge pit.....Tight lines.. p.s. Neil Renouf has a video that shows big cats and striper fishing back there.

9. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    This is interesting information. I fish Mt. Storm Lake in West Virginia on occassion, and this large lake serves as a cooling reservoir for the Virginia Power coal-powered station on the bank. The water is so warm that it never freezes, but steam rises from it during the dead of winter. Scuba divers use the lake as a practice dive lake all winter.

The lake is so full of channel catfish that their is no state-imposed creel or possession limit on catfish. The fish are very small, but good eaters. Actually, they claim that the water is very sterile because of the heat. There are stripers and walleye in the lake, so it's always been exciting to fish there.

10. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    in colonial heights, right there at the dam

11. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    Hey Rick, maybe I can catch up w/ya and have you show me what to beware of.

Thanks again for the info

12. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I uasually break the crab up 4 bait! not any big cats on it but a few nice ones! Esp.. down toward Jamestown!:smile2: FISH ON BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    he went into my tank...and burried himself in the sand...:cool2: I take pride in having a neat collection of fish...If I happen to get another one...I'll let ya know though.

14. Scott Hubbard

Scott Hubbard New Member

State:
    VA
    There is something called a freshwater flounder that I catch in the cast net in the Lower James from time to time. I tried to attach a picture I got from google. They are usually 3 - 6 inches long.

Attached Files:

15. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks Scott, that's what the one I got looked like.
    It's about time for me to do some water changes and redecorating in my tank, I don't know if he became fish food or if he's still well hidden:eek:oooh:.
    I'll have to try to find him though, and maybe get a pic of him.

16. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogchoker the little flounder....and Jeff ...we will get together soon ...I looking for a boat with out board ...maybe pontoon:wink:.....have 2 stern drives:sad2:

17. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    Hogchoker

Trinectes maculates
    [​IMG]The hogchoker has a flat, rounded body that is dark brownish-gray on top and pale on the bottom. Adults have:
    • Small eyes that are both located on the right, or top, side of the head.
    • A rounded head with a small mouth.
    • Narrow, black vertical lines or rounded spots on the top side of the body.
    • Dorsal and anal fins stretch around the body from the head to the tail.
    • Grow to about 6 inches.
    Where does the hogchoker live?
    Hogchokers are abundant year-round residents of the Bay, from tidal freshwaters to the mouth of the Bay. They are bottom-dwellers in shallow and deep waters with a sandy, silty or muddy bottom.
    What does the hogchoker eat?
    Hogchokers feed on worms and crustaceans. They hunt by lying half-buried in bottom sediments and changing colors to blend in with their surroundings, while both eyes look up for their prey.
    How does the hogchoker reproduce?
    Hogchokers spawn from May through September in inshore waters.
    • Hogchokers are born with one eye on each side of the head. During the larval stage the left eye travels over the top of the head to a position next to the right eye.
    • Young of the year travel upstream to shallow mud flats.
    Other facts about the hogchoker:
    • The unusual name "hogchoker" comes from farmers who used to feed these fish to their hogs. The hogs would choke on the fishes' scaly, bony bodies.
    • One of the most abundant fish in the Bay, though it is nearly impossible to see one when it is lying half-buried in the Bay's bottom sediments.
    • Considered to be a "right-handed" flatfish because its mouth and eyes are on the right when viewed from the dorsal side.
    • Can live up to seven years.

18. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    You guys are indeed the brain trust. That is a real eye opener to me.
    They look like the size of flounder I catch when I go flounder fishing:confused2:
    Great info guys.

Let me know when you are ready Rick, I'm all in!:cool2: Good luck on the boat hunt.

19. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Awesome Info Rick! I vote this as the one of the best posts i have read yet!!!!!!! See ya on the water real soon i hope!:smile2:

20. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    That was some impressive info, Rick, thanks a bunch!!!:cool2: