questions for river fishermen.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by catchase, May 2, 2008.

1. catchase

catchase New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello, i have been a member of the BOC for only a few months now and have tried to take in all of the great information on here. Last year was the first time out on the Missouri river for 2 fishing partners and myself. After about 3 trips out in the heat of the summer we decided we didn't have the knowlege to catch what we were after.

I have learned that we need to be in the main current in front of wing dams or on the bend of the river in a good hole for most of the big blue action using fresh shad. And that we need better anchors with more rope for anchoring correctly in the current.

Any tips would be great. we are on a 175 pro team tracker boat with 50hp so we should have enough boat to run the current.

would it be worth the money for a guided trip to lean first hand the best ways for anchoring and finding good holes, rigging and such?

If anyone would like to go with us that has some knowlege we would have room for another person we would just have to arrange a time that we could meet.

any info is good info, This Site Is Addictive, HAHA

Thanks

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    In the heat of summer, try the scour holes below the dikes and the deeper holes on outside bends. After dark, move to the shallow flats that are in close proximity to the deeper holes. You'll find fish and after you catch a few your confidence will build. Keep at it and welcome to the BOC!

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    dams aren't the only place to catch big fish....

Use a depth/fish finder to locate brush in the water... anchor up and fish the brush piles

Wish I was closer I could help ya out a bit

4. catchase

catchase New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks guys i apreciate it. keep it comming.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    What part of missouri are you in? The area's you have mention is a good starting point but. Sometimes they are not there either. Each trip out is different.

6. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Exactly where are you at?? What boat ramp are you fishing from??

7. catchase

catchase New Member

State:
    Missouri
    rough neck, we are at a public boat ramp that is down by the sticky fingers bait shop.. like i said i have only been out a few times and can't remember the name of the ramp. Any idea's since you are from st joe. i am 1.25 hours from st. joe and my buddies are in cameron.

8. catchase

catchase New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am from trenton mo, which is north central mo, 1.5 hours from KC, 1.25 hours from st. Joe.

9. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Sound like you were at the conservation ramp, which is called Gentle Breeze. I will probably put in there Sunday afternoon, Catchase. 2 mile up river on the right hand side there are two good hole there before the channel change, also you can fish the outside bend south of the ramp.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have been catfishing for years and I am still looking to take a guided trip on the cumberland river once I return from Iraq.

11. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Did someone mention stinky fingers bait shop? Is that still around? I thjought it was gone..isnt it south of st joe somewhere? somebody tell me where so i can make a road trip there if it is. love them ol bait shops

12. KEITH GRUMMEL

KEITH GRUMMEL New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I dont know if stinky fingers is still open but we have a few small bait shops here in St. Joe

13. catchase

catchase New Member

State:
    Missouri
    it was open last year, i haven't been there this year yet thanks for the info guys, ill give it a try

14. spanky

spanky New Member

State:
    Missiouri
    Yep it is still open it was just shut down for the winter. I was in there last sat. morning checking in a turkey and they said now that is warming up they will start being there.