Questions about the Sabine River

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by gadzooks, May 9, 2006.

1. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My son goes to Louisian Tech in Ruston. Every so often, I've the pleasure of either going and bringing him home to his momma, or taking him back to school, sometimes both. I take the 79 cutoff that goes up the Interstate 20 and on toward Shreveport and Ruston. Each time I cross the Sabine up that way, I get to thinking about spending a few hours fishing it...have a kayak, so would have a boat. Does anyone fish that area, or have you in the past. Also, I pass close by Lake Murvaul, it used to be a great bass lake, has anyone fished it for cats lately?

2. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Good morning Gadzooks: I live in Gary, Tx. I live five miles from the river and nine miles from Murvaul boat ramps. Murvaul has good bass in it, some big ones too. The people that own the Marine just will not post fishing reports, do not understand them. The catfishing is good if you like small cannel cats. I do not know what happen to the larger ones. They cut the bubbles off for about six years and that hurt the shads numbers and that hurt the catfish. The bubbles are on now so maybe the catfish will do better. The Sabine river is very good fishing. Only trouble is the water level is low. I think Toledo Bend is somewhere about 8' low so that puts the river low. You can fish it but you have to be careful running your boat. My neighbor has one line out in the river and in three days he caught 25 cats.
    Good luck and be careful
    Joe

3. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Good morning Gadzooks: I live in Gary, Tx. I live five miles from the river and nine miles from Murvaul boat ramps. Murvaul has good bass in it, some big ones too. The people that own the Marine just will not post fishing reports, do not understand them. The catfishing is good if you like small cannel cats. I do not know what happen to the larger ones. They cut the bubbles off for about six years and that hurt the shads numbers and that hurt the catfish. The bubbles are on now so maybe the catfish will do better. The Sabine river is very good fishing. Only trouble is the water level is low. I think Toledo Bend is somewhere about 8' low so that puts the river low. You can fish it but you have to be careful running your boat. My neighbor has one line out in the river and in three days he caught 25 cats.
    Good luck and be careful
    Joe

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Thanks Jstall, you live in a blessed part of Texas, good fishing all around and beautiful too. As for the low water, I've noticed that when I've crossed the Sabine going back and forth to Louisian, but that's not much of a concern in a kayak. There's no motor to bang around on stumps and logs, or shallow areas. My trip up to and back from Ruston carries me by some pretty good fishing water, but the Sabine and Murvaul are easier to get to than the others, except for maybe Timpson Lake, which I understand can be good for bass and bream.