Questions about shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfishslayer05, Jun 8, 2006.

1. catfishslayer05

catfishslayer05 New Member

I need a way to keep shad alive without going out and buying a shad tank that I can't aford.Any help would be good thanks!!!!:big_smile:

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Keeping shad alive without the right equipment is almost impossible. However, you can keep them fresh for your fishing day by using a cooler with ice....be sure to not let them get down in the ice water from the melting ice. If I am fishing from shore rather than from the docks I carry a small Playmate cooler with ice and have the shad in a ziplock bag.:wink:

3. catfishslayer05

4. catfishslayer05

thats thanks for the tip

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you fish right next to your source of shad, I found that I can keep 2 shad alive in a 5 gallon bucket for 1 hour, or 1 shad for 2 hours.

If the shad are running pretty scarce (like they have been here), I stay out too long (12+ hours) to really try and keep any alive for any length of time (or keep them cold with ice). What I will usually do in this case is keep them in that bucket with just enough water in there to keep them moist. Too much and you start to leech the best part of the shad out, but not enough you end up with shad bricks.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Keep adding ice bro. With out an areator, this is what I use.

7. worm

worm New Member

State:
    missouri
    Get you a PLASTIC (it will stay cooler than metal) 55gal drum make you a couple of cuts on one side attach your hinges. then proced to cut the lid off ( i usually cut it off about 4in from the top.) make sure it is clean. add you a airator and you have a shad tank. You can use a large aquarim one like you get at walmart works for me

8. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I have had a lot of luck by keping shad in a mesh bag tied to the bank

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE NATIONAL GATHERING

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That reminds me...

I saw a fellow with a 5 gallon bucket that had 1/2" holes drilled all around it. He kept his shad in that and kept it in the waters.

The idea is similar to the inner part of the old metal minnow buckets. Not many of us have those buckets and still have to tops though.

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Just NEVER look at them. I find thats all it take for them to die.

11. M Welch

M Welch New Member

State:
    Texas
    For me, keeping shad alive would almost be like turning lead into gold. I suggest putting them on ice ASAP to keep them nice and fresh. The most I've ever seen one live is about 30 minutes in a 5 gallon bucket. Just when I thought "Hey,he may last awhile!"...belly up.:angry:

-M Welch