Questions about Lake Fishing

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by ivan09193, Aug 17, 2006.

1. ivan09193

ivan09193 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm in the market for a new fishing rig for shorefishing use at a local Virginian lake. The only species of catfish in the lake are channels, and the lake itself is relatively small. But I'm not sure what the specifications of the rig should be. Medium or heavy action? What pound test should I use? Spinning, spincasting or baitcasting?

Also, what kind of bait and how much of it would you recommend for the rig? I've been using bait that is too heavy for mine, so I can barely cast.

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i use a really simple rig up. a slip sinker and a swivel and i fish the bottom. use chicken livers they work great!

Attached Files:

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A medium action spinning rod or baitcaster will do well. If the cats you expect to catch are under 10 lbs, that rig will, for sure handle them. There's a lot of stuff on the site about catfishing rigs. A lot depends on the bucks you have to spend. You can probably set up with a spinning rig for less money than a baitcaster, depending on what reels you are looking at. Even when I bank fish, I rig Carolina style.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If the water you are fishing has 10 pound and under fish in it a spinning rig would be good and cheaper than a casting rig. I would go with a MH 6-7 foot rod and reel combo. If you are really into baitcaster's I would go with an ABU 5000-6500 on a MH 6-7 foot rod. As for rigging the line A carolina rig is about as versitile as it gets. you can use it with are without a bobber. You can add a small bobber on your leader. Change the hook out to catch gills and so on. I hope tis has helped you some.

5. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    same as tomcat85 with the rig/ but i would use a spin reel with only 20 - 25 pound test.

6. johnpotter777

johnpotter777 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    WalMart has a Abu 6000 baitcast combo for $65, if you can afford this go for it, with bankfishing the baitclicker will come in handy, and the reel is sweet.Peace.:cool2:

7. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If most of the cats are in the under 10 lb. range, a medium action rod will work just fine. Spinning, baitcasting, or spincast will all work also, just use what you prefer. I'd go with 8-12 lb. line. It's easier to cast, and a rig like that will handle 99% if the fish in a lake like that. I used to use heavier equipment, but it's overkill on the smaller cats, and you don't enjoy the fight. I've brought in cats well over 10 lbs with just a Zebco 33 or Mitchell 300 on a medium action rod, and you get a good battle out of the 2-3 lbers also. Usually I just gob on about a half of a chicken liver on a #1 baitholder hook, with just a couple split shot, and lob it out there. Don't be afraid to fish close to shore, many of ours are caught within 4-5 feet of the bank.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    With a spinning rig and the likelhood that the cats will be in the 2-6 lb range with some bigger, I'd use 15 lb test Big Game for my main line and a leader of heavier mono. My leaders are usually 30 lb test, about 18 inches long, and handle things well. The light line will give you more casting distance and the heavier leader will help with abrasion.

9. ivan09193

ivan09193 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    So, overall, do you think that a 6-7 foot medium action spinning rod with like 12 lb. test would be fine? I really don't want to use gear that's probably way too heavy for my kind of fishing. Plus, I might want to slip in a few casts at b@$$ (is that how you spell it here?) now and then.

Yet again, thanks for all of your help.

10. ivan09193

ivan09193 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    There's definitely no channels in there over ten pounds. However, from what I've seen of it, it seems like a pretty good lake for fishing in general. Just by walking past it, you can see schools of 6-7 inch sunfish roaming the shallows, and enormous bass (like put it up on the wall and brag about it size) jumping to get insects on the surface. It's stocked annually with about 300 half pound channels, but I'm sure there are some in there that are larger than that.

11. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    A medium to medium heavy rod 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 feet long that will handle 2 to 3 ounces of weight. But, if you have the room on the bank and need to cast a lot furtherIf you like spinning gear go with one of the bait runner types. If you like casting gear go with one that has a bait clicker. I won't get into brands there are a lot of good rods and reels out there. Much depends on your likes and dislikes and how much you are willing to spend. Personally, I would stay away from most of the spincast reels but that is just my opinion. I have never liked them that much at all. But, some people I know love them.

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Aaron welcome to the BOC, these guys have gave you some great info.