questions about how to use a gill net

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by seaark ryan, Apr 17, 2009.

1. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I just want some info on how to use a gill net. How to set and how long to leave it before it is checked and so on. Is it a better method than using a cast net???? How deep of water can it be set in and what size of net should a persone use. I live in Kansas and don't think it is legal to use here but I do travel to other states from time to time and just though I would ask a few questions about it. I saw a video on you tube and it looked like it works well. Thanks and any info will help!

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i think it would be a bad idea, with all the damage you could do to nontarget species, along with the costs of permits. with a cast net you have the luxury of releasing nontarget species like cats, crappie, etc back into the water unharmed. i am assuming you are wanting one to catch bait.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I agree, bad idea to use gill nets. to many negatives. if its bait fish your after try bream traps.

4. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yes I was going to use it for bait. My thoughts were to locate shad on my finder as I would when using a cast net then to set a the gill net in the same area. I then was going to drive my boat and make noise to try and drive the bait towards the net. I didn't have any plans on setting the net and leaving it for hours. I saw this done and all the fish brought up were alive and the persone on the video was able to turn back the non target fish and the extra shad that he did not want. Does this still sound like a bad idea?

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Give it a try but it may not be worthwhile if you have to buy a permit.
    One place I fish would be ideal for a gill net to get shad. I never ever catch any other species of fish in the cast net so catching non-baitfish wouldn't be a problem in that area....W

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    If you ever saw a school of white bass get in a gill net and how they fight
    and cause the net to dig into their flesh and a whole school dead and dying
    you would burn your net and pray that night that it will not be held against
    you.

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I tried to edit my post but was cut off because it took longer than 7
    min. Almost 40 years ago I was 18 years old and working and a man
    at work talked me into helping him put out his "illegal" gill net. I have
    never been so ashamed of any think I have ever done. It caught everything
    that swam the river. My Daddy would have kicked my a$$ if he had of
    seen it. It haunts me to this day. I would stay with the cast net.

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    First thing you would want to do it check your state laws/regulations. A lot of states won't allow a gill net.

Virginia allows gill nets, thats what I use for getting my shad. A lot easier then the cast net. Far as byproduct, that will probably depend alot on where you set your net. more times then not, the only byproduct I get is small channels and blues, and some gar. They are a mess to get out of the net, but they are a lot hardier of a fish. They generally just swim off then. Don't get too many bass, and other fish in it where I usually like to set. But that could totally be different in your neck of the woods.

9. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the replys! It was just a thought and sounds like it could go both ways (pro and con) I don't think it is allowed in KS like I said. I will stick with the old back buster and keep on throwing!

10. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ryan,

Just want to confirm what several others have said about. Make sure it's legal & if it is legal make sure you have the correct size mesh. States where gill nets are legal likely have mesh size restrictions. By-catch is indeed a big concern. Not only are you catching & killing a bunch of other species, but then you have to pick all those things out of your net...NOT fun & hugely time consuming. Like someone said, if you happen to get a school of white bass to run into that thing you'll be hating life! Likewise, a pile of young channel cats will shread your hands...those dorsal & pectoral spines are razor sharp on the young ones. And carp & gar...don't get me started! lol!

Additionally, once a gizzard shad gets in a gill net, it dies pretty fast & starts decomposing even faster! So, you would have to do real short sets.

11. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use a 100' gill net for catching shad on the James river in Virgina. I put it out for about 20 minutes and get all the shad I neet for my trip and the only other fish I've caught in it was small catfish which are released unharmed. The permit costs $9.00 per year and this is the fastest way to catch bait. I've heard those horror stories about catching all those other fish but those are nets thats left unatended for 12 to 36 hours by commercial fishermen. If you're catching bait its not left in long enough to catch much and thats mostly shad.

12. bobcat2000

bobcat2000 New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    i use them in little creeks and rivers---the best thing is to use a cast net on the big lakes---they work really good ---i i use the easly throw net for herring at night turn the light off before u throw the net

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't even carry a throw net on the boat. I have my gizzard shad spots. Ten minute soak 9 times out of 10 I get my eight or so gizzard shad. I have caught a few small bluecats and even a striper or two but nearly all I catch are the gizzard shad I target. The key is a short soak time. Ten minutes tops.