Questions about hooks and snelling them

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by JamisonM, Sep 27, 2006.

1. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Lately, I've started to snell my hooks thanks to George's video and have found that hooks with an offset eye seem to produce the best snelled hook. When you let your hook hang free in the air, the hook with the offset eye seems to hang straighter than a hook without an offset eye. I'm guessing this is because your leader doesn't have to go through and then back around the eye of the hook, but just through it because of the way the eye is bent to accommodate it.
    This is my question; does anybody bend the eye of the hooks they use and if so, how much do you think it weakens the hook? The reason I ask this question is because I'm hoping to get my hands on some eagle claw 10/0 khale's and I can't find any with an offset eye.

Second Thoughts...
    While writing this I had epiphany; when snelling a hook, do I have to go though the eye of the hook, can't I just ignore it and modify the way I snell the hook? From my understanding, when you snell a hook you tie your line/leader to the shank of the hook and the sudden change in shape from the eye is what keeps your line attached. If so, then when not just snell a hook like I would normally, but without going through the eye so that my line/leader is in line with the hooks shank and parallel to it as well; both in a straight line when pulled tight.

2. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sorry guys, I wasted space with this thread. After trying out something it looks like there is no need to try and offset the eyes of a khale hook. If you snell it right it hangs just fine without an offset eye. Again, sorry for wasting space. Now to find those hooks.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah you answerd your own question , lol now answer this one did you just need the post count or do you always answer yourself ? are you alone in a crowded room or crowded in a lonely room lol

joking dude , but it is funny

4. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    LOL, I got a laugh out of it to after the brief pause when I figured it out. I also figured that I still want to go through the eye to keep it fixed that way and so there's less stress directly on the knot when fighting a fish. That last part's just my opinion though.