Questions about expansion foam?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by lazer20, Oct 16, 2009.

1. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    I have a used 16' Alumacraft flatbottom jon boat. I would like to add a livewell and additional storage. I have attached a pic that i have added bracing and livewell to. My question is before I started, the boat would have a 1100lb weight capacity. After I would add the aluminum bracing, floor, and other materials needed for the mod. I figure this will add about 400 lbs when the livewell is full. I was wondering if expanding foam would add buoyancy to the boat and if so where to put it. Dont know if this would be a good Idea have not even added the weight of the motor, steering system, gas tanks, trolling motor and electronics and batteries. Just curious if the plan would make any sense. Would appreciate any response.

Mod boat 3.jpg

2. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I think thats way to much weght. Your boat needs to be has light as possible. I have a 16' jon boat and i wish that i had more floor room. I use a 20 gallon barrel for my live well. It doesn't take up much room and it works very well . If you need to know any thing else about the live well just ask.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Foam in the boat doesn't do anything but add weight.....until you "sink" it, at which point the extra foam will help keep your boat from going to the bottom.

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    unless you plan on adding the foam to the outside bottom of you boat it will do absolutly nothing for floating your boat,you already have too much weight in their by the time you add the water to the livewell,gonna have to cut back on the good stuff or get a bigger boat.

5. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    Thanks, I didnt figure the foam would do anything inside the boat but wasnt sure. Thanks for the replys I guess I'll Be looking for something bigger or just stick with a bait tank, and smaller livewell and get rid of the other stuff.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yep, foam won't make a boat float higher.
    Air is lighter then foam. Two problems with air though.
    Air isn't Coastguard approved as flotation and air doesn't displace water like foam does.

I'd ditch the livewell or buy a bigger boat.
    When you figure water weighs 8 pounds or so a gallon and that water moves, is it really worth it?

7. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    thanks mark ill take your advice