questions about charleston shrimping

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by katkatcher#1, Oct 9, 2008.

1. katkatcher#1

katkatcher#1 New Member

State:
    S.C.
    a buddy of mine was planning to go shrimping this weekend with some guys from work. he told me i could tag along and they would show me and jason how to get setup. now everyone has backed out..... me and jason are still planning on going neither have now idea how to shrimp except for throwing the net.

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Tyler 1st thing if you are planning on baiting for shrimp you have to have a permit. Next you need 10 15ft poles no larger than 1" diameter, a bag of fish meal, a bag of clay, and a cast net of at least 6ft in diameter with at least 1/2" mesh size. Now that is about $250 worth of gear so forget all of that and go to the docks and buy all the shrimp you can buy for about $3.00 per pound with the heads on and for $250 that will give you about 83lbs of shrimp. Snrimping is fun but also expensive to get started and you have to go alot to actually make it worth it. I have been shrimping for years and everyyear I still think why dont I just go buy some shrimp instead of throwing a cast net for 4-6 hours. I dont mean to discourage you just letting you know the reallity of it. Good luck.

3. katkatcher#1

katkatcher#1 New Member

State:
    S.C.
    i know its expensive ive got my hands on some poles, read all rules and regs. talked to dnr about getting permit friday morning, got 7ft net w/ 1/2 holes,still might buy 8ft to try. I all ready planed a trip to charleston for the day friday for a class and decided to pull boat for the weekend to fish try to shrimp. ive talked to several people about shrimping and they all said its a blast.. they just havent been in a couple of years.

4. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    I have to second what James said, especially after the rain last night and today. The fresh water will push all the shrimp out to the beaches for the next several days. If you still want to give it a go I would suggest the habor. Head out to the Yorktown-Shem Creek area and just do what everyone else is doing.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The catches have been down over the past several days for some reason. Bulls Bay water has been too clear, but the rain should help there by muddying the water, but if you don't know your way around there, you can be stuck on a mud flat until the next high tide. :wink:
    The Charleston Harbor, as mentioned may be your best bet, but use common sense and a little courtesy. The harbor doesn't produce well during the day, but from dusk till dawn, depending on tides, is the best.