Questions about channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by mobowhtr, Jun 25, 2006.

1. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I went fishing yesterday and kept getting little pecks, finally put a little 1/0 hook on one rod and started catching a bunch of little bitty cats. A flat and a couple of blues were only about 4", I'm not sure how they even got the hook in thier mouths. I kept a couple of blues and four channels in the 12" to 14" range to eat. My questions came when I cleaned them. (1)Why were the channels all very yellow along the top of the back when the skin was off?, the blues weren't.(2) Two of the channels were full of eggs, with 83F-85F water in late june shouldn't they have been done with the spawn?

2. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    im not sure about the yellow meat but i do know that not all catfish (channel cat) spawn at the same time, some are just slow bloomers

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    The cats don't all spawn at the same time is why i think they were full of eggs. Also the yellow in the meat is the toxins from the water they came from. Just cut it out and it will be fine.They are known as a mud line. Carp have them too if your incline to eat one....LOL

4. Crash

Crash New Member

State:
    Georgia
    OK GUYS I catch the yellow meat fish all time here in Atlanta, and I usually just leave it on and cookem and eatem.....am I gonna die?

5. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana

whoa! it doesnt taste funny? usually thats when you get the real bitter taste. a grown man with a good immune system could probably handle it, but i doubt a wife or kid could

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I've benn told it a fat deposit like the darker meat in blue's. Just cut it out and enjoy.

7. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yeah ive always been told the yellow is fat deposits not toxin. I dont have any proof just what ive always heard. The bigger the fish the more yellow there is and its usually in the belly which is where the greatest amount fo fat resides. It could be argued that the larger fish have more toxin though. Ive just always been told by pretty much anyone I personally knew that it was fat. Could be wrong though.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If you cut that out I think your meat would taste even better. I don't think it will kill you, though you may wish it had if you catch yellow spotted fever, lol just kidding

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont know why the meat was yellow, but the cats are still spawing here.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    83-85 is prime spawn temps for cats, so they may still be at it. The exact temp varies according to your location, but that is well within the range. Surface temps will rise first, and then the lower parts of the water column will warm as the nights stay warm.