questions about best bait for pee dee river

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by captmarty, Apr 30, 2008.

1. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what does everyone recommend when fishing at society hill landing and is it better to go up river or down river?

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Marty I have had success in both directions but have caught bigger fis down river with live eels and live bream. There are some nice flatheads and huge blues up that way.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    What James said. You may also want to try the cut blueback herring and cut shad.
    BB in SC

4. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks guys -i appreciate all the help and advice u have given me?

5. fishinnut

fishinnut New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I recently read about the guys getting fined at the Society Hill Tourn. and tried to find out for myself if bream (cut or live) were legal, called DNR and they said NO!!! WAY !!! Can't use "Game Fish" such as bream in any way as bait.
    Let me know what's going on.
    Thanks.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Im not sure who you called but it clearly states in the rules and regulation books that you can use cut or live gamefish as long as it is on a rod-n-reel not cut on any commercial device such as limb lines or trot lines. What office did you call Clint? I will get to the bottom of this cause it seems to be causing alot of contrevcersy.

Welcome to the BOC Clint.

7. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks alot-i was under the impression that u could use them as well as long as they were not on limblines or something like that!

8. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    I just got off the phone with a mud sheriff and was told that U can use brim as cut bait but U have to count it in with your creel limit.

PEEDEE CAT

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That is correct so if you are catfishing there is no creel limit on catfish so everthing should be okay. Thanks Gregg.

10. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Is bream considered a game fish here in SC?!I have best luck w/ bream and mullet on the PeeDee--we fish up river towards the Hwy#9 bridge. The flatheads will take just as much cutbait as live bait.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Yes they are consider gamefish.

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I too checked the rules and regulations and bream can indeed be used as bait, on ROD AND REEL. The guy who got the ticket in Society Hill was the guy who set a gazillion set hooks the night before the tournament. Perhaps he did not have good intentions with his set hook catches, and this happened as a result of that. I do believe in karma.
    BB in SC

13. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    bream are considered game fish here is SC. You can use bream as bait as long as the ones you caught that day are counted towards your daily limit. And you can use them only on a rod and reel. In other words you can't use them for trot lines...

So, Cut or live it doesn't matter.

THE best bait in the Pee Dee River is Sonny's Blood formula stink bait. NOW your not going to catch the 20+ lbs range. But if your looking to fill your cooler with 3-15 lbs cats then you can catch them all day.

I do it all the time..... Just find a hole thats holding fish.. Anchor about 20 yards up and throw into that hole.

For frying or stewing it can't be beat! I'll outfish someone who's using live bream (or any other bait) EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR GUARANTEED!

But thats the way I do it.....

have fun and be safe...

Ron

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Where ya been, Ron? Ain't seen you here in a while. When we gonna go fishin'?
    BB in SC

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ron I would like to take you up oon that.LOL Lets get together and fish.

16. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    been working and salt water fishing. We've been tearing up the spanish mackerals...

Trying to get my boat here fixed and running again. I've been using my other boat down in Charleston. So hopefully I'll get my boat here going this week and get into the pee dee.

later...
    Ron

17. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I figured I get a rise or two out of that post.. :wink:

Lets go anytime you want... give me a shout.

later...
    Ron

18. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Sorry but this is straight from the DNR's website.

Bait
    No game fish, live bait or any bait other than bait listed below shall be used with trotlines, set hooks and jugs: soap, doughballs, cut fish (nongame fish cut into at least three equal parts), shrimp, grapes or meat scraps (shall not include insects, worms and other invertebrates).
    On the Edisto, Black, Sampit, Big Pee Dee,
    Little Pee Dee, Lumber and Waccamaw rivers, live nongame fish and bream may be used with single-barbed set hooks and trotlines that have a shank-to-point gap of one and three-sixteenths inches or greater.
    On the Black, Big Pee Dee, Little Pee Dee,
    Lumber and Waccamaw rivers, live nongame fish and bream may be used on trotlines having not more than 2 0 hooks with a shank-to-point gap of one and three sixteenths inches.
    Game fish used as bait must be included in daily creel limit, 30 bream per day (see pg. 18).
    There are no restrictions on the type of bait permissible in traps or eel pots except that no game fish or parts thereof shall be used as bait.

19. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm confused by the point you're trying to make. What I said holds true for the state of sc. With the exceptions noted about the different rivers and trot line bait.

The point of this discussion was not trot lines. But rod and reels. You can use live or cut bream on a rod and reel.

later...
    Ron

20. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC

My point is the thread is about the Pee Dee River hints they can be used on a trot line. I don't care for trotlines, setpoles or jugs and wish they would outlaw them along with bowfishing.