Questions about baitcasting reels

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JBrooks, Sep 26, 2009.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've only use baitcasters this year, and I'd like to say I'm pretty used to them. I'm still kind of curious about how some of them behave though.

For instance, what is the difference between a level wind and non level wind? I can't see any benefit of using a non level wind as of right now.

I was looking at the Abu Garcia 6500 CT Premium Mag Elite and the description says it has no mag brake, so it's amazing castability (Granted you can keep up with the speed), and no level wind. Never seen a reel like this, it's gorgeous.

My most recent purchase has been a 7000 Rocket, and I'm trying to get the most casting out of it. I'm launching 6 oz no - rolls but I'm still kind of heavy on braking. The less brakes I use, the further I will cast it, right? I shouldn't have to put a lot of muscle into it - that just causes me to lose bait.

2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    The purpose of a level-wind is to wind the line evenly back onto the spool. If the reel doesn't have one, you'll have to guide the line evenly back onto the spool with your hand.

If there is no mag brake (or centrifugal brake) you may have trouble with backlashes during casting because the spool is spinning faster than the line can peel off of it. Less brakes will increase casting distance somewhat.

You shouldn't have to fling the bait out with all your might. A nice steady lob should do just fine if the reel is adjusted properly. It's a balancing act between reel adjustment and weight.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Steve.... I'll have to look at your explanation a second time.... I heard the expression "professional over-run"..... which I understand is the continuing of the reel to spin as you want it to slow or stop......

the level wind helps with the line going on and off the reel.... some reels, I believe can dissengage the level line part .....for casting?.

But to make the "line out proces easier" I've heard that it is good to end the cast with a vertical spool allignment... which is best for line going out..... "so I've heard".....works good for me....but the thumb needs to be educated........ mostly by more fishing....:wink:

4. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    There are two times when you can get a backlash. One is if the line stops and the spool doesn't (when the bait hits the water). We're all too familiar with that. The spool tension knob (under the handle usually) is used to prevent this.

The other (the reason for the centrifugal brake) is when you cast and the spool is turning faster than the line can peel off it while it's still flying. This adjustment is usually on the opposite side of the reel that the handle is on. Some reels have a magnetic system, and some use little "shoes" that fly out against a drum from centrifugal force.

When you cast, the line is traveling its fastest as the very beginning. As it travels it slows down, but the spool doesn't (if it's a decent reel). So if you're making a REALLY long cast, the line wraps will loosen on the spool and can cause one helluva mess. The centrifugal break causes the spool to slow down preventing this.

Casting reels are great for power and control, but if you're constantly changing up the weight of your rig, they can be difficult. I can get my reel to perform perfectly with say, 1 ounce of weight and bait. Add another ounce or two, or go with a heavier or lighter bait, and I have to readjust.

The thumb IS the most important part of the reel. Using your thumb to apply tension to the spool to slow it or stop it is something that takes lots of practice. Knowing when to do it takes even more practice. I am not a casting reel expert, that's for sure! Some times I get it perfect, and other times it looks like what the hell I am doing! :big_smile:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Like any angler's first time with them.. It takes tons of practice and the tension knob needs to be set just right.:wink:

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

All my flattin reels are non-levelwinds now.I started out fishing non-levels when I was a kid,old pleugers ans such,no brakes,hell,no drag except for your thumb.Right now,I,m using 3 Daiwa Saltists for my flattin,two 30,s and a 40.I like the way they,re built and their line capacity.They replaced 3 Abu 7000,s of one sort or the other.They all got their centrigal brakes taken out of them,I,ve got a fairly educated thumb.They,ll all outcast any of my 7000 levelwinds,they,re built sturdier,and I can set the drag a lot higher on them for stopping fish before they get into snags.They really do cast like a dream.They just recently came out with a levelwind version in each model if you like that too.Guiding the line across with your thumb becomes second nature real quick and ya aint gotta be perfecy about it.I was really amazed at the distance that the levelwind was robbing me of.:wink:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use baitcasters for all of my catfishing and bass fishing needs.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You can cast reels with no level winds alot farther than reels with level winds.

My Shimano Calcutta 400 VSB and Penn 525 MAG has no level winds and can cast farther than my ABu 6500s with level winds.

9. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    Best way to figure out how the reel works it to take it apart. I didnt even know how to cast it 2 years ago, now I could take and put it togather with my eyes closed. If you take it apart and clean it every week or so it will perform better for you. I fish alot from the bank and all my rods are baitcasters. I only have level winds on my boat rods ( not so worried about long casts) my bank rods have none:wink: allowing for longer casts and alot less backlashes. Shakespear makes alot of bait casters with anti backlash setting to help.

10. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    You can take the level wind off of abus. There's a kit to do it but I ran a long screw through the empty level wind tube and tried it out.

As you cast, line comes off of the spool and it gets smaller in diameter. When the spool becomes effectively small like when you make a long cast, the levelwind makes a lot more trips than it does for X feet of line to go out than it would if the spool was full.

It's all kind of moot because I can cast a mile with just a sinker but with bait on, only 1/2 as far. Keep that in mind. If the reel is so fast you can't cast at night without a tangle, it's a problem.

11. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    If I were you I would stay away from the non-level wind.