Questions about a Lowrance 522

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Phil50, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    I just got a Lowrance 522C iGPS. The thing did not come with any mapping software. Is the Mapcreate 7 software the only software that will work with it?
    It states it will only let you use the first 5 memory cards you initialize with it. Is that enough?

I can get an older version of the same software for less $, is it limited the same way? Will it work with the newer unit?

Also, do I need to connect the power wires to the NMEA 2000 Network if I don't have any external network devices? The internal GPS will be powered off the same power wires as the sonar part, correct?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Phil,

There's already pretty decent maps already built into that unit. The map create software is mainly for roads/ highways and stuff not lake and rivers. I use it in my handheld GPS but it's not worth buying for a boat gps. Lowerance does offer quite a few free maps off their website but I think they have all been already downloaded into this unit. I bought one a 522i gps a couple months ago and it had my local lake maps with pretty good detail already programed into the unit. There's other SD cards that you can buy for around 100.00 that have even better detail but there are only for the biggest and more popular lakes.

You don't need to do anything with those other NMEA wires except wrap some tape around those exposed wires. Just need the wire for power and for the transducer. GPS and Sonar run off the same power.

3. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    Thank you. That's just the info I needed.

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I am in the process of installing the same unit. From what I am reading you need to be sure to power the sonar/GPS to a switch so you can cut off the power. If you do not the GPS antenna will drain your battery. It runs all the time.

5. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Help me on the GPS puck. If I understood Lowrance right the puck should also have a switched power line for the reason already stated. Am I correct it also has to have a separate switch?

6. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I just got my Lowrance sonar/GPS in and when I went to install the transducer I got a little confused. It says not to put it within a foot of the prop. OK, my boat is 4 foot wide that leaves the outer two foot areas. My trailer bunks come next, no go there. Then there is the outside keel or hull rib on both sides. I am pretty sure they will make turbulence at speed. That leaves the only real place to install it between the outside hull rib and the side of the boat. I think that area has clear water even at high speed.

Do you think that will work?

Thanks

7. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    As long as the transducer is in the water at speed you will be ok.

8. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    My 522 has an internal antenna but I think you are correct that the external antenna must be powered and switched.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I take the unit off everytime and store it so I did'nt mess with the shut off switch. But if you are going to leave the power cord attached to the unit all the time then you will have to install the shut off switch. The nema 2000 wire I just wire nutted and taped each individual wire off since I did'nt have anything to hook up to it anyway.

10. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I have the Lowrance 332 GPS/Sonar combo - for Christmas I bought myself the Navonics Gold+ chip. Kinda pricey at $200 but I'm pretty pleased with the level of detail and accuracy. The Mapcreate that came with it left a lot to be desired.

11. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    We took out the 1648 NCS Alumacraft with my new Lowrance sonar/GPS today. It was GREAT. The location between the side of the boat and the first rib worked fine even at full speed. The 522 iGPS is fantastic. Great bottom detail and as a fish finder it worked great. I was marking some very big fish this morning but they were either lock jawed, bass, or even carp? Who knows?
    I was near the dam in about 25' of water and there were holes literally full of fish arches showing swim bladders. Nice but it still did not put a fish in the boat.
    However, latter we were crappie fishing anchored under a bridge in about 5' of water and the Lowrance was showing the schools of crappie suspended at about 2' deep. We set our minnow rigs to 2' and started catching crappie right away.

12. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    Wow, sounds good. Were you on a lake or river? How was the detail of the GPS maps?

13. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    We were at a lake.

The GPS maps left much to be desired. I am hoping the maps on the Navionic chips will be much better. Even on the factory installed worldwide map the detail is much better on some lakes than others. I think what will really propel this technology for most of us is the ready available detail maps.

Neat thing was when I turned on the unit it found 6 or seven satellites established our position and started a trail when we moved. At any time I could ask it for navigation back to start and it would give heading and an on screen arrow that showed how to get back along the trail. Would have worked just as well in total darkness or fog. The position was accurate to a 29 foot circle. With a better Navionics map that would not take you thru the opening to a breakwater blind but it would get you in sight of the buoy.

14. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    Sounds good. I wonder if the Lowrance MapCreate software is any good, more details maybe, etc. I have a Garmin V handheld and I have Garmins Mapsource software. It is great, makes the handheld a lot more usefull.

The Navonics chips and others, are no doubt good, but seems a bit high priced. Looks like one might have to buy more than one to get the coverage you need, too. Depends on where you are going to fish I guess.

15. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    David

I have the 520c and love it but like you the gps map sucked so I bought the Navionics premium chip and it helped alot it is every thing I wanted.

16. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    For reasons of price and flexibility I went a different route, I got a used Pocket PC with a GPS off of Ebay for $122 to my door. This allows me the choice of dozens of different GPS programs, the best of which either grab terrain/photo maps off the Microsoft TerraServer or allow you to use any raster graphic maps and calibrate them yourself which allows me to download COE navigation maps as well as hydrographic survey maps and depth charts from the COE websites or the state DNR websites ... I'm lucky enough to live in a state (Iowa) where they are constantly mapping the state and have up to date photo and terrain maps online for free ... The additional flexiblity is I can upload any trails and/or waypoints to my desktop PC and log everything on a mapping program there .... most of the stuff I use is free, I did shell out a mere 30 bucks of one GPS program

I additionally invested another 30 buck in a 2 gig memory card (About 100 Mb for maps the rest for music) so I have about $180 invested which the GPS function alone is well worth it but it also doubles as custom fishing log (Lots of drop lists to avoid the need to 'type') a camera and my MP3 jukebox to feed my boat's sound system .... plus I can even get the phone enabled if I want (You can get a used Pocket PC phone that's locked to a carrier cheaper than you can get just a Pocket PC without a cellphone, the only downside is you sacrifice a little bit of memory for the phone specific software) and use one of the services that provides live maps over wireless internet

I'm not sure how many are aware of this but with the proliferation of cars, cell phones and Pocket PCs with built-in GPS there is a new fad going around called geocaching (Google it if you are curious) and this has led to a lot of good free or very cheap software with flexible databases and standardized ways of transferring trails and waypoints to a desktop PC but obviously has numerous applications for the sportsman .... One of the things I'm doing this week is walking the area where they are getting ready to make a new 650 acre lake here in Eastern Iowa and logging where the creek bed is and where they've laid out all the manmade structure they've built before they start flooding it later this year .... I figure this will eventually be my 'retirement lake' and I plan on having an edge on fishing it when it gets established several years from now

An additional plus is I can upgrade to a newer Pocket PC down the road with a full VGA display, more power and just transfer everything over to it with no hassles .... Personally I can't see any reason to get a dedicated GPS anymore, not with the flexiblity afforded by the Pocket PC setups which you can find used for the price of a handheld GPS