Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found this in my dads things. It looks brand new. I want to sell it cause my family is in a REAL tight spot. However the sentimental value is more if it's not worth it. I have pics and information. Numbers, original box and papers and key. Everything works smoothly, It looks like its straight off the shelves at bass pro, but in my research it used the word vintage. But seriously... I dont think it ever hit the water. Which means (knowing my daddy) it MUST have been one he got right before he got sick and couldn't get out anymore. Because my daddy would NEVER have left a reel unfished, unless he didn't have a choice. Anyway... any help would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.
Insect Toy Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Corded phone Wood Camera lens

Wood Office equipment Gas Hardwood Antique

Rectangle Handwriting Wood Font Hardwood

Font Wood Handwriting Hardwood Paper

Wood Textile Rectangle Flooring Hardwood

Handwriting Camera accessory Font Material property Camera lens

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
724 Posts
Well, Aunt Kakkie. Looking at the pictures, and looking it up online, I'd say you have a reel that I didn't know about.
One of the listings shown on ebay says that model was made in Japan (could be wrong, though).
The several listings I saw on eBay have them priced from $222 to a bit over $500.
I think what would add to the value of yours might be the fact that you have the box and manual (That usually adds to collectability of an item.)

This is all just my opinion, and everyone on this board can tell you that I'm no expert.
The reel does look to ge in "off the shelf" condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, Aunt Kakkie. Looking at the pictures, and looking it up online, I'd say you have a reel that I didn't know about.
One of the listings shown on ebay says that model was made in Japan (could be wrong, though).
The several listings I saw on eBay have them priced from $222 to a bit over $500.
I think what would add to the value of yours might be the fact that you have the box and manual (That usually adds to collectability of an item.)

This is all just my opinion, and everyone on this board can tell you that I'm no expert.
The reel does look to ge in "off the shelf" condition.
IKR!! lol, but my daddy was a fisherman. Everything under the sun, he had to have it. I can just see him in the store right now... holding it in his hand, testing it, he'd walk around with it, and almost put it back, but he'd buy it no matter the cost. I'm 42. So I was 4 when it was made. It runs so smooth, no jerking in the line or drag. it's in really good condition. My daddy took care of his things, but he DEFINITELY used them. I dont know how it made it this long like it did, but here it is. So do you know how to read those numbers?? is that the year model? oh and sorry about the little trip down memory lane. I guess i got lost. lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
If it’s like all the other abu’s the foot were it screws into the rod, there should be serial numbers. We can give you a pretty good guess an what year an we’re at in the production line this was made.

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
1,016 Posts
When you go to eBay check the price of ones that already sold not asking price
I don't know if it's a collection item but if it is that's the condition that will bring top dollar

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it’s like all the other abu’s the foot were it screws into the rod, there should be serial numbers. We can give you a pretty good guess an what year an we’re at in the production line this was made.
Yes theres a pic of the number posted.... Its 840200

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ok so I’m bout 99% dead on with the date as I found this-
This model was produced by Abu from 1984 thru 1985 as it's premier Bass fishing reel.Reel features include abu's exclusive free floating level wind which dis-engages the spool when cast and re-engages the spool when retrieved.This reel has exceptional casting distance and accuracy,flippin' option,qick change left side-plate and spool w/internal ball bearings, spool revolves on a fixed axle drive,4.7:1 gear ratio,fast cast thumb-bar spool release, and line cap of 130 yds 12# mono....more braid,and lastly a star drag and magnetic spool adjustments in the left side-plate

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts
I have one that I bought new in the mid 80s. I bought the flipping version. Great for flipping jigs with pork tails around docks. The flipping design would be good for back bouncing but more line capacity would be better.

For those not familiar with the flipping design, when you flip the selector to use the flipping mode, pressing the spool release button disengages the spool. Releasing the button automatically engages the spool. So you can disengage or ingage reg spool just by pressing or lifting the thumb. With the flipping selector off the reel is back to normal operation.

tight lines

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so I’m bout 99% dead on with the date as I found this-
This model was produced by Abu from 1984 thru 1985 as it's premier Bass fishing reel.Reel features include abu's exclusive free floating level wind which dis-engages the spool when cast and re-engages the spool when retrieved.This reel has exceptional casting distance and accuracy,flippin' option,qick change left side-plate and spool w/internal ball bearings, spool revolves on a fixed axle drive,4.7:1 gear ratio,fast cast thumb-bar spool release, and line cap of 130 yds 12# mono....more braid,and lastly a star drag and magnetic spool adjustments in the left side-plate
Wow!!! thank you so much. You got a LOT futher than me. Do you mind if I use this info to describe it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I found this in my dads things. It looks brand new. I want to sell it cause my family is in a REAL tight spot. However the sentimental value is more if it's not worth it. I have pics and information. Numbers, original box and papers and key. Everything works smoothly, It looks like its straight off the shelves at bass pro, but in my research it used the word vintage. But seriously... I dont think it ever hit the water. Which means (knowing my daddy) it MUST have been one he got right before he got sick and couldn't get out anymore. Because my daddy would NEVER have left a reel unfished, unless he didn't have a choice. Anyway... any help would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time. View attachment 326950
View attachment 326949
View attachment 326948
View attachment 326947
View attachment 326945
View attachment 326944
View attachment 326946
I am probably same age as your dad. That was my first Bait caster . I was in high school and did odd jobs and my grandparents helped me buy it . I would say 1982-1984 . I paid $85 for it back then and that was a lot for a high schooler. It was the coolest reel back then. I wore it out. I would love to buy your reel if you decide to sell.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
that sounds about right I got one or some variation for Christmas 1983 or 1984

Reactions: SteveMcK
1 - 16 of 16 Posts