Question

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by smhmc6, Mar 4, 2008.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have sort of a strange, maybe stupid question. I assume that some people waterfowl hunt on rivers. As I was fishing on the river the other day, I had a thought. If you can get on a river legally, through a public access point, can you hunt on it like you could fish it (obviously outside of town with the correct permits and in the right season)? It may sound kind of stupid, but that thought just kind of popped into my mind the other day and I've been wondering ever since. I don't mean to stir up the pot with the whole "who owns the river" debate, around here... if you can legally get on a river, you can legally fish it even if it is between two private properties.

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Steve. You bring up a good point. I'm not sure what your state regulations are for hunting on rivers. But I'm sure if the area is not posted, it should be legal as long you follow the guidelines. The lake I fish on allows hunting during the season, but you have to stay 200 yds. from the shoreline. per se in a boat. I would check your KANSAS hunting laws and regulations for the info you need. Call your state headquarters for more info on laws.:0a26::big_smile:

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey thanks. I don't currently waterfowl hunt, but a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to try out some duck hunting next year just to learn something new together I guess (right now we just deer and turkey hunt). I will for sure look it up with the authorities when that time comes... but for now I guess I thought I'd take the lazy way out and just ask all of you guys:smile2:. There seems to always be someone who knows the answers to my questions around here... great site.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Steve I duck hunted for years in ark. Hunted cache and white mainly but also bayou deview,,,they may own the ground but the river belongs to me and you. Thats not sayin you can chase cripple across a posted field, but if they hit the water, it's your duck. I know in arkansas ya can't shoot if boat is under power,,,more commonly known as jump shootin.

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well I wouldn't even think of jump shooting. I would be legit hunting. When I came up with the thought, I was thinking... it would be nice not having to ask around to hunt private and also not having to deal with the joys of hunting public land.

6. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    That would be something you would have to check with kansas laws.

We duck and goose hunt on the missouri river, We have to set up on sand bars on the missouri side only. They have the deal with share the river with Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska but its for fishing only.

7. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Call your DNR. kansas has some screwy laws regaurding river rights. Better call first. Most states state that any navigable water that you don't have to tresspass to get to is fair game.