Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Arojekt, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Alright, so some of my friends and I had an idea to help raise money to hopefully support a trip down to Texas to fish for the well-known alligator gar. We're short of funding, so we thought that catfishing could help us. The only thing is, that I can't find any regulations or rules in any of the documents found on the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commision's website and I don't want to break the law if our plan would break any of those boundaries.

Our idea is to catch our personal creel limits at Bass Lake in the spring and summer about once a week. We're thinking only weekends. We would place fliers throughout our neighborhoods that have contact information and a cooked-to-order service for catfish meals. A lot of the people in our neighborhoods are big fish lovers, but no one really gets anything fresh passed canned meat or commercial business sold fish. I have gone through many items such as the North Carolina Inland Fishing, Hunting and Trapping Regulations Digest, and found nothing about this. I have found regulations that regard illegal sale of catfish to publicly or privately owned businesses that serve catfish or sell catfish. The thing is, we're not a business, but just a bunch of kids trying to support a future trip.

The question I have is, would this plan to raise money break any laws?

2. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    I can't find the edit button for these forums... I guess it doesn't have that feature, but I forgot to add that I've contacted some of the people that were on the Contact Us list on the NC Wildlife Resources Commision site, and none of them replied, so yeah...

But if you have someone else that I can contact to verify my plan, that'd be much appreciated!

3. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hmmm, trying to sell something to make money sounds like a business.

Might want to check the NC food service rules and requirements, there will be a long long list of specific requirements for all kinds of things you have to do to serve food to people. One hot dog at a carnival to a 5 star restaurant will all have rules, some different , some not.

Better check all the details before finding out the hard way after somebody gets sick.

Here is a start:

http://www.deh.enr.state.nc.us/ehs/food/GS130A-247.pdf

http://www.deh.enr.state.nc.us/ehs/images/rules/t15a-18a.26.pdf

4. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    eateries that will probably work with you.

The short answer is yes you can do it. Here are the conditions:

1. You have to catch the catfish with hook and line (or grabbling).
    2. You can keep and sell 6 fish per person per day.

It is going to hard to make much money at that rate.....but it is allowed. You should really try to get to one of the lakes (mainly Jordan) where there is no limit on how many you can keep. If you count White cats, you can easily catch so many catfish you would get sick of cleaning them. Maybe they will buy them whole. Watch out for them Gar......they have as many little sharp teeth as my mother in law...but at least they do smell better...

The easiest way is pay 10 bucks for a special device license and set a few trot lines at Jordan Lake. You will be running over in catfish quickly.....keep all the White cats........PLEASE!!!!!!

Good luck with it...might be easier to cut a few lawns though......

5. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    I appreciate the help guys, but yeah, greg, there's three of us... so we get work done. I know in Holly Springs that mowing lawns may be something you'd expect of teenagers, but in Cary, 1) everyone does it, so we've been beaten to it. 2) half of us don't have lawns because everyone resides in a subdevelopment such as Lochmere and they give you about 5x5 feet of grass and expect you to call it a lawn, so they do it themselves.

Besides, who wants to pursue a career in a job they loathe? If I can control what jobs I can do, I'd definately choose the one that is most fun, or I'd end up cranky like the guys in that Monster commercial who try to fight the morning Sun.

6. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Zach, The board of health will fine you more than you can make selling cooked catfish, if they found out. If you sell food to the public, your kitchen has to be inspected. Your kitchen would probably not pass. Unless you have commercial (NSF) certified appliances, a 3 bay stainless steel sink (as well as a separate hand sink) and a ware-washing machine that sanitizes your pans,you cannot prepare food for the public. To sell fish to restaurants you're supposed to have a commercial license. I'd hate to see your well intentioned efforts get you in trouble.

7. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    OK, first check with the administrators on this site for permission (can't stress the importance of this enough, if yall ain't careful your thread will be pulled without conscience!). Then post a picture of the three of yall with a longnose gar from a NC river and a little description of how bad yall want to go to Texas to catch one of the big boys. I for one would be more than willing to send yall a dollar to help yall out. If just half the people who frequent this site would do the same, I think yall'd have plenty enough money to cover the trip. Quite honestly, I've enjoyed reading your thread so much that I'll even send two bucks just to get you started. Only stipulation is; One of you must be the designated photographer and promise to take a lot of good pictures of yall's excursion. We'll look at it as a sort of a mission trip. We'll call it the "Texas Alliigator Gar Mission Trip"

8. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Bryan, I appreciate the fact that you'd donate, but (personally) I'd like to get everything done on my own for hard-earned money, you know? It's just that satisfying.

I don't understand your first sentence... what am I supposed to ask of the administrators?

9. striker52

striker52 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks for all the advice you guys I'm Nick one of the people that would be attending this mission trip and i would have no problem snappin pictures only thing is i don't think i would be able to carry enough film ha! Also do you need to have a license to set up trot lines anywhere or just at lake Jordan?

10. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    you only need a fishing license to use trotlines anywhere.....except.......if you are catching non game fish to sell.

Keep them to eat yourself = regular fishing license
    Keep them to sell = special device license

11. striker52

striker52 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    oh i see

one more thing I have set up a trot line once before on the jordan rigged with shrimp as bait we had decent results but nothing great would you suggest a different bait possibly, or maybe a good technique.

12. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC

Whole Threadfin shad, hands down IMO. Fillet them half way down one side and hook them through the eyes, sort of like butterfly rigging. This should also be proof enough that you aren't baiting a trot line with live bait (that's illegal).

Sorry I can't help with locations right now. I haven't figured out trotlining in water as cold as Jordan is right now. during late spring into summer I'd say just about anywhere 4'-6' will do OK overnight.

Just remember;
    1. trotlines have to be set parallel to the nearest shore
    2. marked at each end by a bouy, with your name and address marked on it
    3. must be checked every 24 hrs

And one last little tid bit I learned the hard way last year (my first year trotlining) use heavy weights on those bouy lines. I had one, moderate, 9lb Channel drag my trotline off last year. I did eventually find it, but it was a mess when I did. A brick isn't heavy enough. I've got a few 8" block for this year.

Good luck

Jon

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i can see two problems. one has been mentioned. charging for cooked food to the public as said will lead to possible trouble and fines for you guys. Healy dept thing.

and dont try and get funds from the site as mentioned. fundraisers are prohibited on the board.

even cleaning and selling the fillets can lead to health board problems. whole live would be the only way i can see it but im not positive thats legal.

just be careful.

14. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    The only bait you should use on Jordan on a trot line is cut shad. There is plenty in the lake. The best places to set the trot line is about anywhere!

Make sure you know the rules on trot lines....even though I doubt you would ever get checked. For your convenience....her ya go:

Using Trotlines and Set-hooks
    • It is unlawful to use live bait with trotlines, set-hooks or jug-hooks.
    • Trotlines must be set parallel to the nearest shore in all public
    waters, where their use is authorized.
    • Each trotline and set-hook (except jug-hooks) shall have
    attached the name and address of the user legibly inscribed.
    • Each trotline shall be conspicuously marked at each end, and
    each set-hook shall be conspicuously marked at one end with
    a prominent flag or floating object.
    • Metal cans and glass containers cannot be used as markers.
    • Trotlines (including throw-lines) must be fished daily, and all
    fish must be removed daily.
    • Untended trotlines and set-hooks, as evidenced by the
    absence of bait, may be removed from the water by wildlife
    enforcement officers.

15. Coach Currier

Coach Currier New Member

State:
    TN
    The only way you can do this and not get into trouble is when you take orders you cant set a price for your meals.. You would have to list it as a fund raiser and take donations... Now what you can do is set a min. dollar amount on the donation... Our local volunteer fire dept does this frequently.. You can do it this way and not have to go by the guide lines that the dept of health has set for regular businesses... Good Luck and good fishing