question

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by skiff1, Dec 15, 2009.

1. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    How did you catch your pb drifting or anchored also what bait

2. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    My pb always have come off anchor in running water. I just started drifting a few yrs ago, well actually about 10 yrs ago but i quit fishn for about 7 yrs due to my son racing mx. I fished some at first but finally quit.
    He grew up got interested in girls and wham destroyed his future :smile2:jk
    MX is a dangerous sport and i'm glad he quit. Drifting produces more fish most of the time but as i found out this past wk end, it don't produce the largest fish all the time:big_smile: I'm just getting back into it, i'll learn.

Man i wish i had this site 20 yrs ago, it would had really helped in the learning dept. If a man is serious about catfishn, this site is for you.:wink:

Can't tell you my favorite bait, then i'd have to shoot you but my friends call me Perch Birch.:eek:oooh::smile2:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009

3. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Drifting threadfin shad on a 17' flat.

4. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    well pb isnt huge but it was caught drifting withe gizzard shad. my pb before that was caught anchored out in cedar creek with threadfin.

5. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    My pb was caught anchored on cut herring.

6. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    PB Blue 36 lb cut shad drifting
    PB Flathead 59 lb cut blueback drifting
    :big_smile:

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Anchored in the river with a bream head.

Bill in SC

8. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Drifting gizzard shad during winter in about 45'

9. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    PB 53 lb Blue caught anchored on a mid section of Gizzard Shad at Wateree and the 41 lb Blue I caught anchored this past weekend was on a Gizzard Shad head section.
    As said in an earlier post,I think anchoring overall catches more Trophy cats than Drifting and Drifting produces better numbers.My PB Cat drifting is somewhere around the 32 lb mark.I am sure there are some that will disagree,I know of some great fish caught drifting.I think alot of it also has to do with the particular lake you are fishing,each lake has its own characteristics that would make one type better than the other and also the time of year and the pattern the fish are in.All of these variables have to be taken in consideration.:wink:

10. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    I appreciate the answers. keep them coming. the more detailed the better. I agree with what you said Marty thats how I feel at this point. thats why I'm asking. you made a great point thou [it deeps on what lake your fishing] never thought of it like that. I would venture to say that the deeper the lake the more productive drift fishing would be on quality.

11. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    tied off to river bank ,live gill!

12. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    ancored in 50 feet of water and using skipjack head... pb blue 30 lbs so far

13. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I dont think the deepness of the lake has to do with it as much as the layout of the lake.Certain times of the year,water temperatures,current,where the bait is are the main factors.Drifting Flats,Drifting humps and ledges will pay off a certain times and at other times you need to be in the River Channels or looking for deep holes etc.Any change at all in the bottom can hold fish at a given time of the year.Its up to the fishermen to figure that part out.Drifting is definately gonna help narrow it down cause you are gonna cover so much more water.You make mental note or write down notes and keep your eye on the Sonar when you get a hit,note depth,bait used,time of day,time of year,water conditions and anything else pertinent to the catch.
    The Santee lakes are not deep lakes and they produce a tremendous amount of trophy cats caught drifting everyday,you just got figure out which part of the lake you need to be on for that particular day.That goes for anchoring too.

14. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    say your drifting you find out the fish are concentrated or clustered together. would you continue to drift or would you say its a good time to drop anchor? I probably would drift across one more time. if same results I would drop anchor.

15. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    but from what I've seen here I'm gonna give it a more focused shot.

Almost every blue or flathead we've boated in the 40-70lbs range (maybe 75-100 or so over the years) was caught while anchored in running water over sandbars with live bream at night during the summers. This is just my favorite fishing technique so I can't make much of a comparison. I think people who know how to locate fish and drift in open water have a leg up on those of us who limit ourselves to bottom fishing in rivers but anytime you drop a attractive piece of bait in the water where you've got big fish you've got a chance. As far catching big fish, I don't think it's about how you fish (other than trying not to waste time with little ones) as it is about where you fish. Anchored or drifting, just putting a big hunk of bait in front of a big fish puts you in the race. :wink:

16. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    I hate to admit this,but my PB came while anchored in 2 ft. of water. The part I hate to admit is: I fell asleep and woke up to a mess with tangled rods. 55 lb. flathead!:big_smile:

17. mf7406

mf7406 New Member

State:
    ga
    My PB is a 50 lb blue drifting lake moultrie 16' deep on cut herring during 2nd week of April 08. I can't compare drifting & anchoring because I have little experience anchor fishing. I have always enjoyed drifting, but from some of the replies on this post, maybe I should have a little more patience. Better yet, maybe I should try to get with one of these guys & learn how to refine my anchor fishing set-up & technique.

p.s. My sons PB is a 45 lb flat the day before mine, same depth & bait. Bet you can't guess who always gets the first good fish each trip.

18. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i drift 90% of the time i have cought 92 fish over 50lb largest 81lb 85 of them fish wer cought drifting but anchoring or drifting you got to be in the right place the reson more people anchor is they dont know how to drift properly if they did they whould do more of it the roundhill

19. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    my pb came drifting santee in dec 08

20. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC

And i thought i was a fisherman:eek:oooh:

Roundhill is da man