Question???

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Fishing Addict, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    Here's a thought. If you were lucky enough to catch what you think might be the new state record flathead, and being here in PA there isnt the catch&relese option for entering the fish for a state record, the PFBC consider this culling which is illegal in pa. So what would you do, sacrafice a very large cat for the certification of a state record, or release the cat with the satisfaction of catching a trophy by anyones standards with pictures to reflect on instead of a certificate. What would you do??? Not judging, just curious. In realality were all after the elusive next state record. I know I am, but I love catching any size flats and the bigger the better. But when if ever that I am faced with this decision Im not sure if I could kill the fish just for a certificate saying that I caught the largest flathead in Pa. Im a strong practicer of C.P.R. and havent took a flathead out of the river yet. Like I said before Im not trying to ruffle any feathers or judge anyone just wonderin what others think.:wink:

2. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Problem may be that they may not reconize it being as they have a do not release in some waters....I was just thinking of this myself and wondering what I would do if I caught a state record....It would be hard to let it go but it may be the right thing to do...as for flat heads with the dnr...does anyone know if they can fine you for not killing them or keeping them.

3. Bigfish4me

Bigfish4me New Member

State:
    Conshy Pa
    Oh that catfish is going for a ride. I just started releasing them this year, we were taking the approach the fish commision recomended for years...and i fed alot of the guys i work with, theres no point in killing them now since they are here to stay....but a 50 lber is going for a ride. Theres no doubt there is a fish of that class swimming in the stretch i like to fish.....all he has to do is screw up and eat one of my baits.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    yea i think you'd see my name in the record books, there are plenty of other fish in the river, i cpr all my catty's so one isn't gonna hurt, i'd want it to be 50+ to make sure i made the books:wink:

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Im with Shawn and Lenny! The fish is going in the back of my Jeep!:smile2: having your name in the record books would be cool.

It's not like the flatheads in the Schuylkill are endangered like the bowfin. They have proliferated in this river.

I believe there are quite a few 50lbers swimming in the murky depths of the Skuke. Like shawn said, it just takes one of us to put a bait in front of it's face and it's picture time!:big_smile:

6. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    If I catch a 50 pounder theres no way i'm Throwing him back! The way I see it is Get the big boy out that way the littler ones have a better chance of geting big like him!

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If i catch the next state record,I,m having the son of a bitch mounted.He will then spend the rest of his days on top of my television set!One of the reasons I kick the bigger boys back is so that they can reach record size.:big_smile::eek:oooh::crazy::roll_eyes:

8. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    you must be thinking of a different stretch of the skuke than I fished :smile2::wink:

If I were lucky enough to catch a 50lbr, I would def keep it, get my name in the books, and get a replica mount made to hang on the wall

9. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    ROAD TRIP!!!!!! It would be great to say "no I would let him go so that he could grow and multiply" but that sucka's ridin to the first certified scale I find. Now one thats open at 3 am......could be a long road trip.

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    The record Flathead and what to do! It certainly is a tough call! I release all Cats I catch but the record fish brings about a big dilema. We are all out for that record and to catch it and have it made official would be a awesome moment in anyones Catfishing career! I actually do take several steps in preparation of catching the "big one"! I have large compartments under the seats of my pontoon and I got hold of a very plastic bag that I can use as a liner to create a temporary large livewell. I figure once I get the fish into the livewell I will contact the local waterways patrol officer to alert him of the record catch and hope he can meet me at a scale. I have a large tub on the boat that can be used to transfer fish to weigh station and hopefully keep alive long enough to attempt release. There of course is no guarantee that whole plan will work but I figure I would do my best to keep fish alive to be released.

11. Good stuff Scott.:wink: If you put the effort into it and do make it a point to take care of the fish in the process, it should pay off. They are a pretty tough fish. I think it can handle the road trip. But if the fish does die in the process:embarassed:, you would have to do it to get your name on top of the list!:cool2: You can't feel too bad if you did everything you could to protect him. Back when I was a teenager, my dad nailed a 43" Muskie at Phoenixville Dam.:tounge_out: We hauled it to our house in King of Prussia in the back of his p/u truck in a kiddie pool to show our family and friends and take pictures and brought her back to exactly where we got her and she swam away into the darkness and seemed fine. Of course left left a little reminder for my dad. Those teeth were able to find thier way half way thru 3 of his fingers when he was trying to beach her.:eek:oooh: Sometimes with the fish of a lifetime, you gotta take the risk, but still try to show respect to these beautiful creatures.:roll_eyes: I don't think you need to worry about that anyway bro, because the next record Flatty is coming from SE PA anyways.:wink:

12. Bigfish4me

Bigfish4me New Member

State:
    Conshy Pa
    You would be surprised just how hearty these bad boys are......like i said before i USE to be a stone cold killer....we would stack them up like chord wood on the deck, i had a 30 lber that we caught around 8 pm one night...flopped it on the deck and proceeded to bury it with some of its bretheren......fished till probably 11 pm and tossed it in the cooler to give to some of the guys at work.....5:30 am the next morning it still had ample life left in it...gills and jaw still going, but alas i have seen the light and unless its 50 its going back. I have transplanted a mess of channel cats in my time to various ponds in the area.....had them out of the water for up to 20 minutes and they all swam away and flourished.

13. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    A world record catch needs to dissected by a biologist right?

14. I am not sure man.:eek:oooh: I have never heard of that for a state record. I am curious now........:confused2:

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    if i caught one i'd try my hardest to keep it alive, i could keep it in my 50 gal bait tank till i got it weighed and then since i only live 15 mins from cabela's i'd see if they could put it in their fish tank:wink:

16. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    Lendog that sounds like a plan you got there. Not sure if they would want that killing machine in there or not:confused2:. Now about them wanting to dissect it im not sure but read this, it sounds like the fish is going to have a hard time surviving this long process. http://www.fish.state.pa.us/strecord.htm

17. rijkmus

rijkmus New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I release all Cats I catch. But one over 50 I would have to certify. There is a rumor going around that I heard that the commission electro shocked a 64 pound flat on one of the rivers.

18. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    If the fish has to die in the process of being certified Who gets the meat?:confused2: Cause if I don't then they aren't getting the fish I'm not one for wasting good food.
    Loop

19. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    If I recall the prior world record blue cat Splash was kept alive for several years at a tourist center.