question

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by twinrivers, May 20, 2009.

1. twinrivers

twinrivers New Member

State:
    kansas
    visited a river dam last week and there was a massive log jam above the dam.looked like flathead heaven to me,just wondering if it would be good or if i should be at the spillway?this was all the wash caught up on top of the dam . i'm learning thanks guys

2. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would at least try it. One time me and some friends were fishing at a dam and the water was kind of high. The current was taking our bait all over the place and getting us snagged... plus there was a 30 foot wall so we weren't sure how we were going to get something up it. We weren't getting bites so we decided to go upstream of the dam and fish under the trash that had piled up like you are talking about. Sure enough we caught a flathead. Not a big one at all, maybe like 2 pounds. But it was the only fish we caught all day. I think it would be worth a try fishing the other side of the dam. This time of year though, you're best bet is below the dam. But I've also heard guys say they think that flatheads don't move up river very far if much at all.... so who knows.

3. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    what part of kansas are ya from?

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    by all means be careful what ever you do. sound like a dangerous situation w/ a boat. just dont get swept away brother. stay safe and dont go by yourself, other than that, tair um up cuz.:wink:

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Are you talkin about the Chickaskia?

6. twinrivers

twinrivers New Member

State:
    kansas
    I'm in wichita ,and it was the dam at drury on the chikaskia river,i took pictures but geuss i'm techno incompetent and can't find em .the dam is maybe 200-250' across and 12-14' high,water was pouring over the entire length was kinda scary .going back fri try it again