Question???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by all_4_Flatcats, May 3, 2009.

1. all_4_Flatcats

all_4_Flatcats New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Anybody ever had any luck using baby channels as bait. I pretty much know you fish them the same as Yellow Bellies.

I got a bait shop I go to every once in awhile that sells them in Hamilton, Ohio about 20 or 30min from my house. These guys are pretty cheat of $12 for 2lbs.

2. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Nope, never heard or read about using them.

3. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I've had limited experience with them, every now and then I'd catch one and decide to hook him up as bait, but never had any hits.

One problem I did encounter is how much line the little fish pulled out while I had him hooked up as bait, it would be hard to distinguish between the little channel taking out line and an actual hit, pound for pound channels are some tough little fish.... perhaps the ones they sell in the bait shop are already in a lethargic/half dead state?

4. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    i've used a couple that weren't going to survive being released. I used them as cut bait and did pretty well.

5. all_4_Flatcats

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanx Fellas,

These channels they sell are in pretty excellent condition and very lively.

The sizes only range from 3"-8" in length.

They sell them instead of Yellow Bellies due to Ohio State Law prohibiting the sell of Yellow Bellies.

They told me selling Yellow Bellies are considered an invasive species therefore illegal to sell in Ohio, I laughed my ass off and I told the guy as far as I know they are a native species.

If that was so, last year while fishing the Little Miami I had the game warden come up on me. Let point out he scared the shit out of me.

I had my knife in my hand cutting up a piece of bait (I had to tell this guy off because he snuck up on me so close I almost stabbed him. He said he would have shot before I had the chace.LOL!!! But you couldn't tell me any different.). Before he took / ran my Fishing and Drivers License he checked out my poles, my tackle box, bait bucket( I had 2 dozen Yellow Bellies in it), and a bag full of dead bait that always save.

I asked him about wholesale bait suppliers selling Yellow Bellies in Ohio he said, "It was perfectly legal as long as they weren't shipping them across the state line to a place that isn't in the Yellow bellies home range then they will be considered an invasive species due to their feeding habits".

6. all_4_Flatcats

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    They may compete for the same food as the native species if shipped out of their home range. That made perfect sense to me. I went to Florida and fished for Oscars (invasive they're for South America in case someone doesn't know they are sold as aquarium fish) w/ my uncle who lived there years back before he pasted... They fight a lot harder than Bass.

7. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was also curious about using channels....I dont see why they would be much different as yellow bellies but the only thing i can think of and the only thing to check before doing it is maybe check with odnr about laws....would be a shame to get caught with them if you arent aloud to use them...cuz i think they are technically a gamefish...dunno though...discussing this in another forum as we speak too....

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You can use any species of fish for bait in ohio. Muskie, bass, crappie, walleye, gills, carp, catfish, whaterver. The only distinction between game and rough, is that rough fish can be caught with a cast net. Game fish have to be caught on rod and reel. Just watch your size, slot, and creel limits. Can't have a 12" bass in your bucket on a lake with a 15" minimum, or you will get a ticket. All limits are found in the FREE laws booklet that can be found wherever you can buy a license.