question

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by catfishlarryiowa, Mar 16, 2009.

1. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hope you all don"t think this is a stupid question but this friend was catching bait in this creek. she said that they maid her hands very stinkey. so i described what a shad looked like an she said that sounds like it so my question is. can you catch shad on a hook an line?

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I am not sure on the names as it seems that different locations call fish
    different names. Skipjack are called shad or skipjack shad or skipjack herring.
    I think that they are probaly herring but they will bite artifisals and live
    bait. I have caught Hickory shad ( I think what some people call gizzard
    shad) on tuffie minnows fishing for crappie. The little threadfins, what
    some people call yellowtails would probaly bite a hook if you used a small
    hook and a pinch of worm.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I agree with Poppa:cool2:

4. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Gizzard Shad will not take a bait. They can be snagged where legal. If they were catching them on a hook and line they may be skippys. Which are also in the herring family and stink just about the same.

5. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    skip jack and hickory shad can be taken on jigs yellow tails and gizzard shad will not take baits they feed on plankton and algae

6. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    It has been 15-20 years ago but I caught one in a pond that was probably about 1.5lbs. I did not know what a skipjack was back then but I could have sworn it was a gizzard shad. Had the same markings and smelled like a shad. It was probalby a skipjack someone had put in the pond though.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    FYI, people around here often confuse mooneye with gizzard shad. Mooneye are big insect eaters and are readily taken with R & R.

Attached Files: