Question-Shallow water flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If there is a current break behind a large rock and boulders (seriously, this rock is like 50 ft long and 10 ft wide, very BIG) but it's only about 5 to 6 feet deep, would there be flatheads there??? Does it need to be deeper?? My freind was fishing there for bass last week and left his rod out with cut sunny on it. He decided to go for a swim and when he came back, it was gone. This was during mid day. There is absolutely no current in this 100 ft by 50 ft pool. I have learned from you guys that this might be flathead country. Any input is greatly appreciated!! Thanks bros!!!

2. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    It kinda depends on what kind of river you are fishing. If the river has a lot of holes deeper than where the rock is, probably not. But, if that is one of the better holes in a one mile stretch, then probably so.

You have the structure part down, but another part of the equation is around deep water. At least deep relative to the river you are fishing.

What I'm saying though doesn't really matter. Those are only ideas to try and find them. The only way to really find out is to throw a bluegill out there. :big_smile:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am slowly leaving the deep water = big flatheads idea, the deepest hole I know of where I fish is 40ft in the scioto river, never have caught a flathead out of that hole..but have done well in water 4ft deep.

4. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My biggest flathead last year (23 lbs) was caught in 2 ft of water at the beginning of a long pool in the river. The deepest part of the pool is only 5 ft. So what i'm saying is that there could be a very big flattie in there.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree & think the biggest flats can be caught in the shallowest of water.

6. etownred

etownred New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've seen flatheads chasing bluegills in 1 to 2 ft. of water. They would chase them into the shallows and nail em. Sounded like someone jumping into the river!
    You have to have a good spotlight though. Only seen this at night about an hour after dark.

7. etownred

etownred New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The deepest hole I fish is about 6 ft. deep.

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    The depth is of less concern to me than the fact there is no current or moving water. I catch about 99% of my flatheads in water between 3 and 5 feet deep, but it is all moving, and usually just below a good riffle that is generating a lot of oxygen. I would bet my bottom dollar there are flathead there at one time or another during the year, just probably not all year long, as when it really heats up they will look for cooler, more oxygenated water, as will the bait fish.

Just my opinion of course.........

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Depending on the size of this river 5-6 might not be considered shallow. To me though it sounds like more of a night time feeding area. I think I this would probably be a good spot for some live bait under a bobber.

10. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Sure, there could be flatheads in a spot like that, but a turtle or a gar or just about anything could have taken off with the rig.

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I'm sure a few big flatheads would probably hang around that rock. All sorts of food will hang around those rocks like baitfish and crawdads, which will bring in predator fish like flatheads, channels, bass, etc. One of my most favorite flathead holes is an area with tons of big rocks and piles of cement chunks in about 6ft. of water.

12. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i heard that at night catfish cruise the bank
    :cool2:

13. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    When I setup, I usually look for a deep hole, locate some nearby cover, then find an inbetween depth near the cover, which is always changing on the river. I never fish the deepest and never the shallowest, but always near a hole and cover. Also like to see a bit of current nearby.

14. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    heck yes there could be and prolly are flatheads there 5 to 6 deep isnt really shallow to me i grew up running limb lines alot as a kid heck alot of the times water was only a foot or 2 flatheads are like bass alot of the times they feed close to the bank i caught a 6lber on a rattle trap right next to the bank water was only a foot or 2 when he hit it . i was bass fishing . at one lake my nephew went with me we where getting shad with a throw net we caught 2 small flatheads in the net close to the bank .