Question regarding outboard performance

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by rcneman, Nov 22, 2006.

1. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    This may be a silly question but..

DO outboards run a bit worse in this colder weather. I'm guessin the answer is yes...but not sure...so i posted! :big_smile:

The Mariner 40 on the 17' tracker i fish out of sure does not run as well as it did in the warmer months. It seems to do fine after I've been runnin up the river a bit. It definitely starts harder and takes about 5 minutes to come to a 'stable' idle. The plugs were changed in the spring of the year. I have been running Stabil in it as well.

I just don't wanna be 8-9 miles away from the boat ramp and the darned thing stop runnin on me.

ANY input would be welcomed!

cyas
    rc

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Hopefully Bob & or bubba will step in here soon. I can only speak about my 70hp Suzuki, it is fuel injected with an onboard computer, it runs just as well cold as it does when its warm.

Yours being carbureated, should naturally be more "cold blooded", being as you have to use a choke.....Nature of the beast,I'd say:confused2:

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Elliot called it about right.

Carburated engines are just cold natured. It takes alot of gas to get them to kick in the cold. Try, after you get it started, and at warm up rpm's, hitting the primer/choke quickly for an added boost of gas and possibly a quicker warm up.

You might want to check your engine filter for trash and signs of water.

It sounds like your doing all the right things

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My Merc 115 is cold blood in the summer but is really bad in the winter. I have to let it fast idle for a couple min. before taking off.
    Bill

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I love my fuel-injected Yamaha 115 4-stroke - it starts and runs the same no matter what the temperature is. My 1994 200 hp Merc EFI is the same way.

Don't think I'll go back to a carbureted engine.

6. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    appreciate the input fellas. Goin out again in the mornin and i REALLY don't wanna find myself stranded in 30 degree weather!

cyas
    rc

7. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    In my experience with 2-strokes...They get moody when the weather and elevation changes.I`ve always had to mess with the idle and always had to adjust the jets.This is with rc cars and mini motorcycles though...i dont know if they share the same concepts with outboard motors.

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Any motor I've ever ran has run faster in very cold air. GPS has confirmed this too. There's a big difference in your motor breathing 90 degree air verses 30 degree air.