Question: Preventing Outboard Theft?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by whiskers77, Aug 17, 2006.

1. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Hey Brothers, I just recently bought a 5hp outboard for my fiberglass gamefisher. What I'd like to do is secure my outboard to my boat with a saftey chain or cable, also I'd like to be able to lock the saftey chain somehow to help prevent someone from stealing my outboard from my boat. Does anybody have any suggestions or pics of your rigs to prevent theft plus keeping the outboard from falling in the water? Thanks in advance!

Brandon

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    What type of boat do you have it on and does the transom have those braces running from the floor up to the transom. I use a good cable bycycle lock to secure mine. The cable is harder to cut then chain and they also come with a plastic cover on them and shuts down the rattle

3. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    If your outboard has the little handles that you use to tighten it down on the transom you could position them so the holes are close together then run a lock thru them.

Joe

4. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    It's a 1985 Sears Gamerfisher 12' fiberglass jon boat. It doesn't have the metal brackets on the transom that you are reffering to. It does have a metal strip on top of the transom for the motor to rest on and it has a large eyelid bolted through the transom that I could use a bike cable like you suggested though. Although someone could easily unscrew the the bolt (eyelid) and make off with my motor and lock but it is still a lot better than nothing at all. Thanks for the cable lock suggestion!

Brandon

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They sell a lock bar that incloses the tighteners down. it clamps down over and under and is secured with a pad-lock on one end. you should be able to pick one up at any boat dealer for around 20 to 40 bucks. I just think this these are a cleaner look and just as safe as an eye sore chain. KEEP IT NEET for this is your rig.

6. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The bar lock is the way to go. It slides over the levers used to secure the motor.

Robert

7. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Brandon, Here's what I've got on mine. It will slow them down a little.

ST

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=37904&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

8. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Greg has the right locking system !! Regular chain and lock can be cut so easy it's like taking candy from a baby. Bolt cutters are sold just about everywhere locks are sold. Bolt cutters will cut through locks, chains, and cables in just seconds.

Make sure your insurance company lists your boat & motor on your insurance policy other wise they may not cover it if it's stolen. Most insurance companies don't cover sporting goods unless listed. Some do cover a small amout. My insurance will cover up to $2,000 above that it has to be listed to be covered. It's something like $12 per thousand dollars of coverage.

Jesse

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Was Beaten To The Punch, The Locking Bar System Is The Way To Go. They Are So Popular Here, They Are Sold @ Lowe's & Home Desperate.

Don't Procrastinate GET ONE NOW !!!:eek:oooh:

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    We use a lock called a Sher Lock. I locks your clamp handles. Also has the advantage of your clamps not coming loose.
    Bill

11. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    On my 16' flat bottom w/40hp Merc, I put a spot weld on the nut to the bolt that holds the motor on. (Not the clamps).

I figured that I was going to be the only one to remove the motor & I have a torch to cut it with. - I live in a pretty rough area, so I wasn't taking any chances.

craigr

12. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Thanks everyone for the advice, sounds like the lock bar is the way to go. I'm going to make sure I get one right away. I've heard some horror stories about people having their outboards stolen and how quickly they can dissapear. I just wanted to hear what everyone else felt was the best way to prevent this or slow them down atleast. Thanks again!

Brandon

13. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Craigr, you are a man after my own heart. I don't know how many times I have spot welded something to keep it where I wanted. It works a lot better than locktite. I also bet there have been some folks bad mouth me after working behind me.:big_smile:

st

14. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've seen boats with the transom sawzalled off just so the thieves could steal the motor.

15. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    the best provention is to remove it and lock it up. if they wont it it will go with them.