Question on weighing Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by josephflatheaded, Jun 17, 2009.

1. josephflatheaded

josephflatheaded New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If you keep flathead on a stringer over night do they loose weight I was just wondering because I use to do that often because I had no scale and no camera I would catch big flathead at night tie them up in the river and weight them in the mourning they would still be alive so if you know of this or herd of something about it let me know thanks :confused2:

2. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    You would think they would from burning all the fat trying to get off the stringer.I had a buddy loose a fish one day putting it on a stringer.Use some limbline material are something something stronger than a regular stringer.

Don't forget your camera next time and Welcome to the BOC.

3. minilmracer

minilmracer New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i really dont no if they would or not ive never heard of it

4. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I don't believe they lose, if they do it is minimal, just as you would lose a pound while sleeping overnight. I personally use it though as an excuse. Such as "You shoulda seen it when I landed him, he was 60 pounds then!":smile2::smile2::smile2:

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I dont think it would lose more than a few ounces.
    Please consider releasin some of the big ones. Wouldnt it be fun to get it again?
    Get a digital camera and a good scale.:wink:

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I believe that they do, as a matter of fact I know that they do. By morning what ever they last ate is usually regurgitated due to stress. I have seen as many as four blue gill floating in a holding tank. Now as for the actual body weight, no there is not enough time gone by for any metabolic changes to have any effect. :cool2: