Question on vertical rod holders? Do you use them for fishing or just storage?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Snobal, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    Just curious when you use your vertical rod holders in a boat. Does anyone actually use them for fishing or just storage? Is there any chance of losing a rod going across the lake a wot? How about the freeway (doesn't seem like a good idea but I'll ask anyway)?

I have a 15' trihull and trying to decide how to set it up now that it's going to be primarily for fishing. Thanks for your answers and comments!

2. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    I suspect that you will find that most responses will be something like "it depends on where the rod holders are located". I have six vertical rod holders mounted to my console. These I use only to get a rod that I am not using out of the way. I have seen many vertical rod racks mounted so that they could be (and probably are) used for fishing. I personally would never leave a rod in a vertical rod rack and trailer the boat over any road way without having a near fool proof method of retaining the rods in the holder. It might look cool but should one of the rods get loose the best you can expect is a damaged rig. The worse would be a big lawsuit and a death on your conscience.

Standard disclaimer: This is only my opinion.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    When it comes to usein them for fishin I use them for surf fishin to keep the line above the breakers.

If your rod butt goes down deep enough in the holder i can see no problem with usein them for transportation on the water.

No way I would use them for overland movements.

Another drawback is watch out for that sinker when movein. They will leave a mark. LOL!

4. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Snobal, the vertical rod holders that I think your talking about are like the ones that I use. Cabelas hard plastic and they are adjustable to different angles and vertical as well? Anyway even if they arent the same I have transported 8 rods across a bar on the back of my boat that is built to hold my rods vertically in these types of rod holders. Havent had a bit of problem. My boat runs 60 and Ive had em vertical running full bore across chop on the river even with weights on the line and I transported them down the highway like that at 80 or so mph as well. Just watch out for low bridges and low limbs.......wouldnt be good on the rod tips or the rod for that matter :p Anyways I would just make sure they are secured good, I have 4 rivets holding each of my rod holders to the bar and havent had a minutes problem and they arent lose either. If this isnt what your talking about sorry let me know and Ill try to help you again but if this is what your talking about hope it helps!

5. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ok i think i might understand it more your talking about those plastic ones that go in your boat? Those might not work as well mine I can close this arm around them so then cant come out. As long as you have a bungy cord or something over them where they cant flop out it maybe ok and if they are secured really well.

6. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    Thanks for the responses so far. Here is a link to the style I was looking at.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...lder&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

I was planning on making my own out of PVC though. I don't need the extra space in between and don't have a lot of extra space. I was considering them for storage purposes but wanted to hear some different opinions and find out how others used theirs.

7. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use mine strictly for on the water travel periods, as my rods and reels are too expensive to have out upright going down the road. They make for more room and less rod breakage when on water and I would take weights off, because those big 10-12oz weights hurt when one hits you going 40 down the Mississippi(I retain mine with a rubber band when I'm moving from hole to hole) Then when your done remove your rigging, because unless you didnt get hung-up any or catch a goodun, you should re-tie anyways for the next trip.Hope this helps.:smile2: