Question on trot line clip

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dcastle, Jul 23, 2008.

1. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I attached a couple of photos I took of a clip my dad used for years on his trot lines. I'd like to buy some of these but for the life of me I can't find anyone that sells them anymore. You use to be able to buy them in just about any bait shop but not any more. Has any body ever seen these handy little clips any where?

Attached Files:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Dale, i'm not certain they are the same but wal-mart sells catfish clips. I never used any but i've heard good things from those who have.

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Dale, I get a catalog from a company called... The Fish Net Company ...
    Those clips are called "J Swivels" and hold the hook to the staging line. http://www.fishnetco.com/swivel.htm

4. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's them Michael. Thank you very much. I'm gonna order some tonight!

5. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    How do you guys label trotlines and banklines? They say you have to label them to be legal. I used to have some little metal squares that you imprinted your name and address on.Haven't seen them anywhere.

6. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I bought some little plastic see through tabs at office depot. I wrote my name, address and phone number on a piece of paper and slid it inside the tab. I put silicone around the edge to make it water proof and attached a small chain so I can clip it to my bank and trot lines just above the water line where they can be seen. I've had them for several years now and they're holding up real good.
    The tabs are about 3/4 inch wide by two inches and maybe an eighth inch thick.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cut up bleach bottles and a sharpie marker work great..

8. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have seen some clips like that for sale on ebay.They had a pretty good deal on them.The new ones that come from Wal mart are not that great if you get a big fish on he ccan pretty much run up and down your line if he wants.Does any one up youir way use skipjacks up that way I want to try some down here in Tx.I would be willing to pay someone the trouble for catching them and the shipping cost for a small frozen bag so I could see if they did any good down here.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Bought!!??? Only yuppies do 'bought'. Us rednecks do 'mek it yosef'. The bleach bottles mentioned above work just fine, and so do plastic milk jugs. Just be sure to use a Sharpie, rather than a Magic Marker.

10. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    cut open an aluminum can and take the flat sides and use a rounded pencil to write your info on the aluminum, press fairly good and it will imprint your info on the aluminum,it can be folded over your line and crimped down with pliers, it will stay embossed on there for ever. I have tagged alot of stuff that way in the past,mainly traps, but it works good and stays for years.

On a buy it note, you can get with a trapping tag supplier online and have hundreds of copper or brass tags made with your name and drivers lisence number that will last you a lifetime for pretty cheap, even have tags with holes in them to tie onto things, or double holes to rivit on. get a couple hundred made and you should be good for a long time.

I am a do-it-yourselfer too, I don';t buy anything I can make, but sometimes having something made it a lot cheaper than your time you could have spent doing something more worthwhile, I still end up doing it myself about 50% of the time, cause I am stubborn,lol.

11. Pcat

Pcat New Member

State:
    WesternMissouri
    Duct tape and a sharpie....

Bought doesn't mean your a yuppie, it means, your too busy to eff with making piddly ass tags. i make, good stuff, I leave the little things to the 5 year old chinese kid in hong kong.

p

12. cmblizz96

cmblizz96 Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have used a company called funk trap supply and they sell metal tags at a very good price.

13. hillman1

hillman1 New Member

State:
    Wheatland,Mo.

Yes and all you need now is your Conservation #

hillman

14. RayA

RayA New Member

State:
    Oak Grove Mo.
    for marking trotline and Bank Lines i use trap tags there small so ya can keep things out a site better. milk and bleach jugs work great but then everybody and there brother knows where yer lines are. one the companys makes Brass dog tags they last for yr's

15. gijimbo

gijimbo Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use to simply write the info on a piece of duct tape with a sharpie. After time the writing would wear off so I changed to using dog tags. I bought mine from this site https://www.armynavy.com/. They work well and last forever.

16. RayA

RayA New Member

State:
    Oak Grove Mo.
    Those clips at walmart are for trot lines that have beads in place to keep them from traveling up and down the line.

17. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use any plastic jug I pefer oil jugs for the nice flat surface. I have also used plasic barrle tabs cut with a zawsaw. I cut them 3 x 6 inches and hole punch them so I can tie em on easy. A sharpie writes the info then scribe over with a 10 penny nail end and re write with the sharpie to fill in the scribe marks they last forever.

18. justweldit

justweldit New Member

State:
    missouri
    I ordered some aluminum tags from catfish connection out if illinois. They are pretty inexpensive and durable. They are trap tags I an guessing, but have a little light guage wire attached to them. Very easily to write your info on. I have tried the duct tape thing, but it seems like the river current tears it off over time.