question on tackle

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by nitemare_63, Jan 6, 2009.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i was wondering what kind of swivels do people use if they use them at all???? i use around 65 or 80lb test power pro and i was wondering what type of swivels i should use that has the power not to let me down???? i know about barrel swivels but i need something that i can snap like snap swivels cause i need to be able to change the setup.. does anyone have any advise????? also i normally use 4/0 hooks for most of my fishing cause the chances of hooking the big one is not the best so i dont need those 10/0 hooks and my question is would the 4/0 hooks hold up to some decent size fish not the 80lbers but still good size cats?????????

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Look for Sampo swivels with ball bearings in them, or for Rosco barrel swivels. Doesn't get any better. Stay away from the brass swivels that have the ends twisted to form the eye, you're going to destroy them with heavy line. Berkley also used to make a good swivel, I'm not sure if they still do. For snaps, get Cross-Lok snaps, they use them for marlin and tuna rigs, they'll definitely handle any catfish.

As for the 4/0 hooks, whether or not they're strong enough depends on what style you're using. Light wire bass worm hooks aren't going to be, but a heavy saltwater hook will be. What kind of hooks are you using?

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Use a snap like this one:
    http://catalog...................com/

Most people size their hooks to fit their bait. The object is to make sure the point does not become fouled. Bigger is usually better...I use 8/0 circle hooks, and have no problem gatching the little guys.

Edit: that link that got bushwhacked was for a cross-lock snap.

4. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    As for the 4/0 hooks, whether or not they're strong enough depends on what style you're using. Light wire bass worm hooks aren't going to be, but a heavy saltwater hook will be. What kind of hooks are you using?[/quote]

i just went to gander mt and other fishing places from time to time and picked up some just regular 4/0 fishing hooks.. i dont think they are saltwater hooks i have gamagatso or however u spell it and i got the octopus style....

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  6. kscowboy

kscowboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use an 8/0 gamakatzu octapus circle, and hooked fish as small as a pound.

7. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    If you're using the Gama Octopus hooks, you're good to go. Personally, I'd go with a bigger hook, cats aren't hook shy at all. They suck up all kinds of junk off the bottom when they inhale a bait, they don't have a clue what a hook it.

As stated before in the thread, the size of the bait itself has more impact on hook size than the fish you're trying to catch. My favorite hook is the 7/0 Gamma Octopus, I have caught bluegill on this hook before (yep, they eat liver too). I like plenty of gap, I always use a big chunk of bait (I'm hopeful every time). The Daiichi Circle Chunk (or Team Catfish, same hook) in 7/0 works well too. I actually like it better, as the gap is a tad bit wider than the Gamma, but a 3 pk for $4.00+ offends my sense of getting a good deal. I can get the Gamma's for around $3.00 for a 6 pack.

8. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    have proven to be very strong, they come in barrel and bearing, I vote for the cross-lock snaps too.

The size of circle hooks can be funny gama 4/0 and a mustad deamon 4/0 can be different size, dpends on the gap. ANy quality hook like gamakatsu, Owner, or Mustad should be strong enough in a 4/0.

9. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i second spro power swivels if you're using 80lb test PP go with a size 6 swivel that tests out at 80lbs or go heavier i use size 2 (220lbs) for sinker slides. look into dou-lock snaps size 5 tests out at 150lbs i don't know if catfish connection carries them but PM me and give you a link for this stuff at a decent price.