Question on Steering?????????

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by oh no, Dec 12, 2006.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a Lowe RoughNeck 1960 with a 90 HP Merc. I just bought a 9.9 Mariner to put on the back as a smaller/cheaper motor to run when working jugs.

This Mariner is made to run from my console. With the steering --- would the steering control running to my 90 be heavy enough to steer both motors. I was thinking of making up an arm with swiviles to hook the 90 to the 9.9 and just have one in the water at a time. But hooking it up that way, the steering cable / gizzards work double duty. Will it hold up?

My second thought was to just install a stick steering unit for the 9.9 as two steering wheels would make my boat look like a drivers training model. lol lol

What do you think Bob???

Thanks,

Jim

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Steering the kicker motor with the main steering control is done all the time.

Not sure if you can get one, but there are some after market kits just for this.

3. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    a friend of mine bought a kit from cabelas back in october to do the same thing you are talking about,it was around $60 i think...he said it works really good.

jerry

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I did not want to goof something up.

5. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    yep,thats the one he got.

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have the swivels and stainless rod and tube in stock. I'm glad for that link as it showed me exactly what the store bought ones look like.

I have a welding shop, so I think I can make one in a little bit.

I was just worried that the gear / rod deal for the steering would not take the extra pushing and pulling.

I picked up this 9.9 and a Mercury electric trolling motor/foot controls and seats/pedastals and consel with steering wheel, and Hummingbird depth finder and just about everything that was on this guys boat after a tree fell on it, as a package deal on Ebay. 500 for the lot, but I had to drive to MA to pick it up, as he would not ship. He even gave me his new battery and a full gas tank for the motor. Man is my boat going to be nice when most of his stuff is installed.

I have not seen many 9.9s that were eletric start and set up for the steering wheel. If it had tilt and trim like the 90, I would never have to get out of my seat. lol

Thanks a bunch for the information. This catfish site has all the answers. With a bible and a computer to get to this site, one could go threw life and need little else to make it.

Once again THANKS,

Jim Ames

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks a bunch for the information. This catfish site has all the answers. With a bible and a computer to get to this site, one could go threw life and need little else to make it.

Now if Paul would get off his butt and get that catering service going, we'd really have it made.:confused2: