Question on refrigerators.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Drawout, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Ok guys this may sound weird.I am currently using an old fridge to keep my bait and I can only keep about 30 bags and I want to keep more for hard times .Would it be possible to cut the bottom of freezer out and make the freezer freeze the entire box ?I m thinking it will work but it will burn up motor.Any opinions are appreciated.

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    get a small chest frezzer one bout 3-4 cu ft, in the long run it will cheaper in electric. if you cut the bottom out of your unit, you may hit some hardware and lose the unit all together, also in cutting you have exposed the insulation you will need to put a patch over the exposed insulation to help maintain the seal. I would go to sears or a appliance shop and check out the chest frezzer and price them first, i have seen them as low a $125.

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    or u can get one of the stand up freezers like the chest one but double the space

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    bought 2 old upright freezers for $30.00 each ,might be your best bet.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Old upright freezers can generally be found for less than $50 with very little looking around. Plenty of room, and the stuff is easy to get to.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I miss my freezer! This dang top of the model fridge one just doesn't cut it! Not NEARLY enough room!

7. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    If you cut the bottom out of the freezer to freeze the frig part you gonna cut coils and ruin the whole thing....

8. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    The bottom of the freezer has not only cooling coils under the plastic and or metal, if equipted, it also contains the defrost coils on "frost free" models.
    Try one of the "rent to own" stores. I found a dented up one a few years back for free. They hauling to the landfill.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Bought a 5cubic ft chest freezer from Sutherland Lumber for 89 bucks last year. Thats the way to go .Don't try cutting into the fridge you'll ruin it.

10. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    we have a few appliance stores here that repair and sell used units, we just bought a fridge and they had a chest freezer for $25 if i had a place for it i woulda owned it too lol