Question on reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by dcastle, Mar 23, 2008.

1. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I bought a couple of Penn 209s and might buy two Ambassadeur 6000s. Can anyone tell me if the Ambassadeur 6000 is a decent reel?
    Thanks

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I like 'em. I have 5 or 6 6000s and 6600s laying aound and they're about all I use.

3. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    All I use is the Ambassaduer. I like going with the 9000 or 10000. Both hold plenty of line. I bought a 6000 15 years ago and still going strong.

4. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    PENN 220 GTO

Nuff Said

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dale, I dont know this from personal experience, but from what I gather on here they are great reels. I think the 6000's are bushed reels, and the 6500's have bearings. If I were buying, I would go for the 6500 right off the bat, or if its cheaper for ya, get the 6000's and get the upgrade kit for em later when its more affordable. The bearing kit will turn a 6000 into a 6500. From what I've been told, thats about the only differense between them. I'm sure some of our Abu brothers will be along shortly to correct me if I"m wrong and give you some real hands on advice. Stay tuned. Good luck.

6. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Ive got 2 of the 6600s and they have worked very well for me. Ive landed a number of fish on them and have had no problems at all. They are very smooth and have a great drag system.

7. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I am going to Abu's the spring.

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    In my opinion, the 6000's are a little small for the Missouri or Mississippi rivers. Your Penn 209's will be fine though. I would get the Abu 6500's or 7000's (7000's preferably.) I use the Shimano Tekota 600's and Penn 220 GTO's.:wink:

9. midmocat

midmocat New Member

State:
    MO
    I have fished most reels and the 7000's are perfect for the big riversf or me and 6000's work great for drifting or bumping just lighter and not as bulky. Can't go wrong with an abu

10. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I have 2 Penn 220 GTO's and 1 Abu 6500 and the Abu looks a whole lot smaller than the Penn's. I was able to put about 300 yards of 80lbs. Power Pro on the Penn's and only about 150 on the Abu Garcia 6500.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I use 6500C3's when I'm drift fishing on the lakes and 7000C3's when I'm on the river, both spooled with 30lb Ande monofilament.

The 7000 series is plenty big for the river; the 9000 and 10000 are just overkill unless you're using 90 lb mono or something.

The 6000 is a fine reel for catfishing. Just keep an eye on the amount of line you have - it'd be easy for a big river freight train to come along and spool you.

12. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My personal opinion is if your fishing the Missouri or Mississippi w/ alot of wieght and big baits use the Penns unless you get the Abu's with Carbon-Matrix drag systems in them. The stock 209's have a better drag than the older 6500's and the 6000's. I have all these reels and for anchor fishing use the Penns and for drifting use 6500's (I can follow a BIG fish in HEAVY current easier when not hooked to a anchor!:eek:oooh:

13. RAPTOR

RAPTOR New Member

State:
    IOWA
    ABU has been around a long time !! Hard to beat 6500c3 for me ..Have several of them and very few problems ever...

14. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont use them but I do know people that do they seem to be good reels

15. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I have two 6500c3 reels and use them bout every day with no hitches for bout five years. Just take good care of them and they will take care of you.:wink:

16. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    im not familiar with them but im sure somoen on here can help you