Question on reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by dcastle, Aug 13, 2007.

1. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've got several bait casters I use for bass but nothing big enough for cats. I've been looking at a Penn 209 M
    It looks like it might get the job done if I match it up with a medium heavy ugly stik? What do you guys think? Is this a pretty good reel?
    Thanks

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    You couldn't ask for a more versatile cat reel. I have 3 of them and they are awesome for the money. They cast good, but the only draw back is the ratio is kinda slow I think it is 3.1:1. They will hog in a fish though. I recently got some Penn 220's which are quite a bit faster. You can't go wrong with the 209 though. Just a note: I think the older American Penns are a lot better reel that the new Chinese ones. JMHO.

3. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    i have two 209s but prefer the 310 gtis and the 320 lds they are smother than the 209s but thats just my preference i havent used any abus but im sure the abu guys will give advice to but i dont thing you should have any problems

4. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Have you considered a ABU Garcia. I have been fishing them for over 30 years and love them. I have used them in salt and freesh water. I just got the new 7000ic3 and it is a work horse but I do prefer the ones made in sweden. One experence I had with a penn baitcaster I bought many years ago is a big snook made a long screaming run and wore out the levelwind and the levelwind frooze on me. Penn does make a quality product. I do not think you will be disapointed with the Penn.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I have 1 penn 209 that was givin to me years ago.Just learning it use it.So far I like it but as stated it is slow reeling in but you could pull a cow in with it i do believe. just bought a ABU 6000 combo and still waiting for my frist fish on it to see how it works. however it does cast smooth,not as many birds nest as with the 209. Either one will make a good Cat Reel.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Penn reels have been the "Heavy Equipment" of the reel brands in my 55+ years of fishing fresh and salt water.I am not a "Brand man" as I call those who swear by one brand and have never and would never use another brand.The 209 and 309's served me and many other folk for years.Had mine not done a "vanishing act" they would still be with me.I did like the 309's for their increased line capacity as we used mono.The Penn 209 was a popular US Navy sailer's reel when I was in the Navy from 62-66.I saw them in use from Maine to Key west Florida,on around to Mobile Ala.I saw them in Scotland and Rota Spain. I have never fished with a Penn in fresh water.Just brackish and salt.They hold up well and will last forever if not abused.Kids keeping the level winds full of sand was the only problem that I ever had or saw with the 209 or 309 Penns.They still do well without the level winds until your parts arrive.She ain;t no race horse,but if you want to pull a wagon full of Budweiser she will do the job.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    couldn't have siad it better pee wee out of the 209 and 309 i prefer the 309 seems to have a louder clicker to me as well as almost double the line cap.

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've had both over the years, and just prefer the abus! If you're new to baitcasters, I'd definitely get an abu 6000 or 6500. That is the easiest baitcaster reel to learn how to cast, hands down! I'd start with it to learn how to use one, then if you want a little more cranking power, I'd move to the 7000, or even the 9000.

I just recently got a 9000 big game and discovered it casts as good or better than my 7000s. I also looked at the internal parts, and discovered alot of them are actually beefier than some of the ones on the penn.

I say though, start easy, and work into what you want unless the 6000/6500 does everything you need it to do, like most of us have come to find out, it does.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I just have to laugh at the "Its kind of slow" comments on the 209.Try fishing with a guide that puts out 10 of them on set up or 6-8 while drifting.With 100yds of line out on a drift it can take a while to get them all in and then your arm is ready to falloff!!!::crazy::roll_eyes:Heck I caught a world record blue back in 2006 on a 209.Fish weighed 130.56 lbs.That was in Jan when the big fish congregate in front of the Santee dams.When I finally got the fish to the boat in March he had lost 90lbs and only weighed 40.56!!!!!!:big_smile::crazy::wink:The 209 is the Chevy Surburban of fishing reels.Solid ,dependable,does what it was designed to do,and the design never changes much.OOOPs sorry got to go, another world record on the line, probably wont be able to post for a month or 2.:big_smile:

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Oh, ok. Well then, if it's like a Chevy, then I deffinitely don't need one. I can't afford to keep buying replacement reels or parts, or to keep it in the shop all the time, LOL!

Seriously, about the only parts I've had to replace on the abus is the line pawl or bent handle on some old 30 and 40 year old reels I've got from here and there. Don't get me wrong, I've had several of both. My preference from ease of use and maintinance is the abus.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Sooo how do you know there's something not better? If you have never and would never use another brand? Like Jim said the Penn's are old slow and never will change... By far the best brand out there across the board on different styles of reels is Shimano.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    A little old abu 5000 would hold that minnow pictured in your avatar.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First,Jim needs to hire a cripple to reel for him if he is that slow!Even I ain;t that slow.It sounds like he's been drinking some of that stuff that they sold out of the back door of those fish camps when I was a boy and even going back as a man on the Santee.Yea!I and every one else knew that yankee liquor maker,runner,turned race car driver,fish camp owner until he crashed!Yep,the one that got caught rigging the big Bass tournament that time! OK. You quoted me,and then added something that I didn;t say("if you")(not me,I don;t believe in it),but being I am not a know it all,I don;t understand.I am 62 years old and I have said that I have never used another brand.I have never said that I "would never use another brand" with the exception of a Ugly Stick which refused to honor their Guarantee years ago.I do not do business with people that I believe are thieves.I don;t.know a thing about the things that I have never used and often state so on here.I leave that up to the ones that are born knowing it all.Being I was not born with such a wonderful gift,I do not understand or dispute them.I sure wish I could just know all that anyone needs to know about anything without any personal experience.Please believe me when I say that I do not have this gift that you seem to think that I have.I sure wish that I did.I wish one of them would give me some.I have no personal Abu-Garcia experience and have stated so many times.I do own and have experience with Shimanos and Penns (50+ years worth of Penn)(About 30 with Shimano).I was once treated royalty at the Penn factory,but never remember telling anyone that they were the best.I was raised to believe that it was a "stupid and a ignorant" thing to do and I have not changed my mind.I still think it is and I never ment for anyone to think such of me.A friend in the navy brought me my first Shimano from Japan in the mid to late 70's.I gave it to his father with his permission.I have bought my own after they later came into this country.Good reels.I have as yet to see a Shimano 1/2 as old as the Abu-Garcia and Penns that I have seen.As for which is "the best brand" I leave such statements to people such as you who have the gift of knowing such things or who have the experience and opportunity to try every reel made by every manufacture so that they can honestly and intelligently make such a statement about them.Either way,I envy you be it the gift or the opportunity you seem to have it.I guess it is best that I don;t have the gift.I would probably think my name was Jehovah.I could then tell everyone which one is best!I love you Brothers and Sisters and I love this site!peewee ps,Sorry that I did not notice any brands but Penns way back then.Had I noticed any Abu-Garcia's or Shimano's I surly would have mentioned it.