Question on older boats.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by graybeard, Apr 24, 2007.

1. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm looking at an older Monark 16 foot 70" wide jon boat. I'm guessing a 1970s model. I know most of the newer riveted jons are .070 hull thickness or thereabouts. I'm wondering if the older jons are about the same or as well built as the new ones, or better or worse. Boat looks like it has had little use and been well cared for.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    As far as I know, they haven't changed a bit.

Go over it with a fine toothed comb, looking for cracks. The only way to leak check it is to put it in the water, and see what happens, both dead in the water, and underway.

Riveted jons have gotten a bad rap, largely due to people using them in ways they were never intended to be used. Nothing at all wrong with a gently used, riveted jon.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've got a 10 foot jon that is a 62 sears model.
    Its heavy. Alot heavier then today's 10 foot jons.

4. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Nothing at all wrong with the older jons. I'd prefer to own an older one than a newer one anyday. It seems like everything made "back in the day" was built to last a lifetime.

5. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I currently own a 2006 16 ft. jon but when i was little we owned a 14 ft. which i believe was a 70's model. That 14 ft. was alot heavier and more durable than my 2006 16 ft.

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Monark made a good boat. I had one about that size for a while and it was solid. The problem as mentioned before is how people use them. If it has been beat up it will probably leak at some rivits. A good dry test is to get up under it and tap it with your knuckles and listen for rattling. It may seep but should not gush if no rattles.....