Question on Nest Distance as relates to Flathead Catfish location?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Baitkiller, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    :confused:

Does anybody know or has read the distances that Flatheads will build their nest. Just wanted to see how CLOSE together it may be?????? For the last 3 years now I've been tryin to learn what I can but have NEVER read about the distance and would sure like to know.

Still Wet Behind the Ears!

:what-big:

<><Baitkiller><>

2. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    If there is a prime location (large enough hole that can be protected) I have found them right next to each other. As long as there is a physical separation. Hope this helps.

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    odominioncatter sounds about right.

They dont look for territorial waters per-se, more likely they look for a hole that aint occupied yet by another flatty. The private pond industry sells "hotels"- a dozen 3 foot hunks of plastic culvert with the bottom 2 filled with cement and the whole mess of em bound together with wire in the shape of a christmas tree. The cats take up the "hotel" without discression from what I have seen at the private pond I went swimmin in.

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    That's funny Baitkiller, me and Slimcat were just pondering basically the same question a couple days ago.

This fall, we were fishing a revetment bank. There are some huge crevices in this bank. If you are idling down the shoreline, it will be like 25, 27, 26 feet. Then for a split second, it drops to 42. Then right back to 27, 25, 26 ... Anyway, he caught an 18 & a 52 out of this one spot right before Halloween.

Just a little ways down from this spot, there are some major UPS & DOWNS. Just one right after another. The depth finder goes like: 25, 38, 23, 36, etc. So on the graph, it is like a vertical roller coaster:

/ \/ \/ \/ \

It seems to me that each of these drops has the potential to hold a big flathead. However, will they be so close together or is that separation enough?

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    lol sal, swimmin in the cat pond again?

6. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I AGREE MY FREIND :D

7. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    Same general topic but a different question:

I am not sure completely but I am seeing blues spawning deeper than flatheads. Anyone have any experience with this or ready anything about it?

Thanks a lot.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In prime nesting grounds I think they will build them close together...I catch lots of flatheads in the same location in periods right before the spawn..After that they scatter.