Question on Mississippi River trotlines and jugs

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by yotetrapper, Mar 6, 2007.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I read and re-read the regulation book but I'm still a bit confused. Are trotlines and jugs legal with a regular fishing license, and if they are, how many are you allowed to have? I am talking about in the Mississippi between locks and dams 18 & 19. Thanks to any one who can clear this up!

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Angela, being an Okie I know squat about your great state. However, if you would send an e-mail to the below address, they will answer any question you have about your state fishing regulations. And you'll have the straight poop from the horses mouth.

lmick@dnrmail.state.il.us

3. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Angela... Yes trotlines and jugs are legal.. each one has to have your name and address on it.. No more than 50 hooks total, when you add up jugs and trotlines.. they must be run every 24 hrs and taken up when you leave... Hope this helps..

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    "they must be run every 24 hrs and taken up when you leave"

Lost me on that. Taken up when you leave? You mean can't put em out, leave the river, and check them next day?

5. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can put them out and check them the next day. Thats how I do it. I think by leave he is talking about leaving your fishing area and going back to reality! I assume you will be using jugs with anchors if you will be leaving them unattended, however.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is like if you only fished on weekends, when you leave the lake. river, stream, etc. on Sunday, you must remove the lines from the water even though you plan on returning next Friday night. To get technical, if you leave on a Sunday and bait your lines before you leave, you must run them within 24 hours. You cannot legally wait until Tuesday to run your lines again.

7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ok thanks guys. i got it now