?? Question on laying carpet?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ShilohRed, Sep 4, 2007.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Anyone lay carpet for a living or used to do it?
    May have to get 2 young guys to lay some for me. And I am trying to learn up on it. That we I can play boss and they can do the work. and Hope it comes out right. The room is a L shape long part is 21 ft then 8ft wide the other side is 21 ft. and 12ft wide
    Will have enough carpet to cover the 12 ft x 21 solid then the extra pieces 8x9
    I will have to rent the stretchers and the piece to splice the carpet.
    Any pointer will sure help out.
    Pete

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You will need the seaming iron and the seaming tape to put it together. Get you a good long straight edge and cut both edges straight so you can seam it together. Make sure that iron is hot enough to melt the glue when you run it along the tape. Pete its hard to explain how to seam that together but if I was there I could do it for you. You might want to think about finding some one that does it on the side and get them to seam it. If its not done right you will not be satisfied with it and may wind up loosing the whole piece.
    You will need to lay it out in the room like you were going to fasten it down and then before you cut it to size you need to cut your seaming edges and put the tape under the carpet and slide the iron on the tape just like you were splitting it with the iron. Where it folds back together behind the iron you will have to rub it down with the palm of your hand. Man I know I left something out.
    Oh when you put your tack strip down and then lay your pad down use one of those hammer staple guns to fasten it down and then the carpet on top. Use as heavy of a pad you can stand to make the carpet wear longer. Softer on the feet to. After you seam it together you can let it cool for a few min. and then start stretching it in. I always tuck on one end and power stretch the longest direction.

A good utility carpet knife and plenty of blades. is a must.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Uncle Willard. How about I feed you real good one weekend. And you come over and show us how to do it. I can rent the tools. And have a strong back or 2 (Insert Buck here) here to do the work.
    Shoot I would even feed you crappie and hush puppys and stuffed peppers and even Baby back ribs..
    Pete

4. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Oh Willard I think you steped right into that one...LOL

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    OH! Layin carpet. I thought it said gettin la........ on carpet! Nevermind!!!!! LOL!

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    HOW did we know THAT was coming? :eek:oooh:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Careful Big George your goin to get over excited. Not good.:cool2::cool2::cool2:

8. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Well Come on Uncle Bubba:

A good man would whip right on up there and help this Poor decrepid Pete get that carpet laid. That is what Gun Totein BOC Brothers are supposed to do. I know Uncle Pete would get on the BOC and make Gracious Posts Thankin you and I know it is worth the trip just to eat some of them BabyBack Ribs.

What say Ole Buddy??

Nephew Gene

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Gene you mean to tell me that pete totes a gun. :crazy:

I am in the process of setting up something with him and yes I know how he will act when its over. Just like you do you old codger:smile2:

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Shoot I can't even haul the bullet around these days. Just to hard to get aorund with the extra weight. LOL

Also Gene I think Uncle Willard is going to take care of me. That is if I can get 1 (Insert Buck here) or 2
    ( Insert your name here) guys to do the work. Don't know if he can handle it his self. But I bet we can get her done..

Also Willard you know I would still think the same thing about you. That your a fine guy..
    Pete

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Pete you old goat did you get my E-mail?

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Just checked and no e-mail yet. but you know it takes a while for that horse to get over the hills between us. LOL
    Pete

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Willard just a guess.but if you hit the little button with send on it. The mail may show up.:wink::smile2::eek:oooh::sad2:
    Just kidding. Jim got one from me, That was 12 hours after I had hit that button also. :angry:
    Pete

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Do you all have running water in McNary county after dark. :smile2
    I sent that e-mail last night

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Willard I just don't know what is wrong with your mail. But its still not here. Yes they leave the water on until 7:30Pm most nights. but we do have a well pump in the basement to pump our city water with.:angry:That is what you get when the hill you live on is higher then the water tank.:big_smile:
    Pete