Question on jug fishing alone.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Old Bill, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    In the past almost all my jug fishing has been done with a pontoon boat, with another person helping with the boat or jugs.

However, now I'm using a smaller 14' aluminum boat by myself.

This past September, when I approach a jug to check it, I took the motor out of gear, stopped by the jug, and then pulled the jug into the boat. Which worked out fine...when I didn't go racing past the jug!:crazy:

However, I noticed a guy at the lake, who was also checking jugs by himself, idle his boat up to a jug and then circle the jug to the right checking the jug without bring the jug into the boat.

So I tried it a time or two, but I was fearful that the jug line would get caught in my motor's prop.

My question to you folks that check jug lines by yourself....do you stop by the jugs, or do you circle the jugs with the motor still running in gear? Or something else?

Any pointers you would like to share...I'd be most happy to recieve! :roll_eyes:

Bill

2. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    when i jug fish by my self i circle my jugs. run up to the jug and turn into the jug after you grap it that keeps the motor away from your jug.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I do the same if i'm alone.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I simply run up to the jug, throw the motor in neutral, and hook onto the line below the jug. If the boat still has forward motion, the jug acts like the counterweight on the old style windows and keeps the line sort of tight, preventing the line form getting to the prop..

5. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks everyone! i appreciate the information.

So much to learn...so little time!:eek:oooh:

Bill

6. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Most all the jug fishing that I've done has been using 2 liter bottles. With the bottles they always lay flat on the water until there is a fish on then the bottle stands upright. No need to check it by hand. When there is a fish on or I move the jugs I use the trolling motor.

7. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Your Jug fishing must have a different meaning than here in Iowa. The jug fishing I do is you throw the jug out of the boat and let it float with the current and chase it down when a fish takes the bait. Is your jug fishing how you set your lines out in the water and the jug marks them?

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Its basically the same way you do it Wolfdog. You can either free float them or anchor them. The choice is up to you, as long as it conforms to your states game laws. I understand flagging jugs and such, but it seems like if you don't pull your hook, your not gonna know if there is bait on the jug or not. These cats are getting so educated about flagging jugs, they can take the bait off the hook without flagging the jug. LOL