Question on how often to re-rig using braid

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by strictly catfish, Jun 9, 2009.

1. I have a question I was hoping to get some feedback from the Brothers on the B.O.C.
    My Catfishing buddy is going to re-evaluate how he is tying his rigs because he mentioned that the 4 {four} oz. no-roll sinkers that he is using is fraying his 65 lb. Power Pro. after about 3 or 4 trips out.
    My question is, is it better to re-rig your set-up after every time out so you have new line for your Hook, Swivel and Sinker?
    Thank you very much for your feedback.

sTRICTLY Catfish

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    ALWAYS inspect your line before the next trip. I will cut 3-4' off of the line and re tie before each trip on every rod. I will inspect 20-30' of the line and feel the rest on the reel in while fishing. If i feel the smallest thing I will cut and re rig. I do go thru a lot of line, but I have broken off on one big fish that I got really close to the boat. That will not happen again because of neglect, I try my best to keep the rods, reels, and boat in great shape, why not the line?

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Sinker slides will stop the fraying:wink:

4. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    usually with the braid you can see the fraying with the naked eye but i check it after any snag or anytime i pull the gear out from a previous trip

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would never use no rolls or any type sinker that comes into direct contact with braid because it will damage the line. I use #65 power pro and use sinker slides with #40 mono leader and cast 5 or 6oz flat bank sinkers. So far I have had no problems with the power pro fraying. Good luck.

6. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Same. A sinker around your line gets snagged and you ain't getting your hook back. Well, that and you don't have to cut off 6' of spectra every trip.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    and if ya don't want to use a sinker slide just use a snap swivel and add a bead above and below the line to protect your knots

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've gone to the sinker slides recently. Just got some from Pete last week. Just rigged 3 rods up with them actually. I won't be makin any more no-rolls.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont worry i use the threewayrid, i hate the carolina unless im in a boat,wich i dont have

10. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    ok here's my take on this i agree with alton i don't use no roll sinkers either. i love braid and with that said i knew there was a trade off no stretch but decreased abrasion resistance now to offset that i use a flourcarbon shockleader and hook leader that way i can fire off a long cast and still have the first 30 ft of great abrasion resistance but thicker diameter line depending on which rod i'm using. i also use a sinker slide or a swivel for my sinker.

11. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You can't use a no-roll with a sinker slide, so he gonna have to switch the type of weight he uses if he plans on going to a slide.

I use no rolls and haven't had any problems, I also use a bead to protect the knot. Before I ever rig up a no-roll though, I always check the edge of the holes in it for burrs. If it has anything in there that might be abrasive I clean it up with a toothpick or pocket knife.

Is he using a leader? Maybe it's not the no-roll itself but the lack of a leader...?