Question on Hooks for flathead catfish???

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by river_rat_42, Aug 29, 2006.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was wondering on one of my last fishin' trips about what types of hooks I should use when tryin to catch flatties, if different at all from other cats. When I am using live fish such as shad, blugill, or creek chubs, should I use circle hooks or what? OR When im using cut bait such as bluegill, perch, or whatever, what hooks should I use. I find that I only have luck w/ circle hooks when the fish are real agressive w/ their bites, depends on what kinda night it is. Also, I use an Abu Garcia 7000C3 with the baitclicker ON if that makes any difference in what kinda hooks I should use. SO, what do u think, what kinda hooks on what types of bait do yall use for flatties or does it make a difference.

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If your are using it with the baitclicker on try to use some big kahle hooks that way you can stop the fish with a nice solid hook set after it take the bait.

3. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I'm with Tyler on this one. Kahle hooks are great. I have landed many a flathead with those. Make sure to use the right size hook, though. If you plan to catch a big flathead(depends on how big the fish gets where you are fishing) use bigger hooks, etc. I would hate to hear another one of those " The big one that got away" storys because your hook was too weak. Good luck!!

4. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Kahle (4/0-8/0)---- Bullheads, Creek Chub, Large Minnows
    Circle (4/0-6/0)---- Bream

I hardly ever use the clicker unless they are tearin' some bait up! :big_smile:
    Otherwise if you are using a circle, leave the spool engage, but leave some slack in the line. This way they pick the bait up and swim with it, when the line gets tight the hook slides to the corner of their mouth and hooks um'.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

It all depends on your preference. I still use regular J-hooks with success and tru-turns on ocassion. I have used circle hooks in the past and still will when drifting but that is about the only time I use them.

6. catchbigfish

catchbigfish New Member

I would have to agree on that Laid bck 111, tru-turn hooks are all I use we have caucht fish up to 72 pounds on 8ot hooks.

7. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I use live bluegills and use between and 8/0 and 10/0 circle hook....(Gamakatsu)

The nature of the flathead is an aggressive one and in my experience once they take the bait they don't just sit there they usually take off swimming usually down current.

With there aggressive behavior the circle hook works perfect for flatheads...

let the rod load up (bait clicker off and drag tight not so tight that your line will break) take it out of the holder and start reeling ...(DONT SET THE HOOK!!) that will actually pull the hook from it's mouth.

Good luck!

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I agree with John on the circles except I use the clicker also just in case I'm not looking or catnapping when a fish takes off with the bait.

9. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanxx guys, I think ill run down to bass pro one day this week and get some big kahle hooks. AND yeah, the only reason I use baitclickers is b/c im not always payin attention to my pole. OH, and one other thing about my fishin situation yall prolly didn't know from the sound of kycatman01's post. I fish the ohio river (maybe where u do) so yeah there are some giants in there.

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hook choice is really personal. There is no one right hook. What works best for one might not work for somebody else.

If you are using circle hooks, you are better off leaving the reel in gear. The fish will hook themselves. When you pick up the rod on a run (with the clicker going) you are much more likely to just pull the hook out of their mouth.

Personally, I like kahle hooks. They are almost a half way compromise between circles and J hooks. You can let the fish hook themselves, and they almost always end up in the corner of the jaw, or you can do the traditional hookset.

One thing I have to throw in - be sure to match the hook size to the bait, especially with live bait. A hook that's bigger than it need to be will kill a live bait. For most 4 to 6 inch sunfishes a 4/0 or 5/0 kahle is plenty big enough, and it will hold the biggest cat swimming as long as you don't try to horse it in with a tight drag on heavy line.

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I'm with JAinSC, there is no best hook- except the one that matches your fishing style, your current conditions, and mostly the bait.
    I've caught 3# fish on 10/0 hooks, so I don't worry about the hook being too big, unless its too big for the bait (Rarely a problem, 'cause I like BIG bait).
    I have to agree that if you like to just leave the rod in the holder, go with circles and a pretty tight drag, but not too tight.
    That's what I do most of the time, but with a twist: I like to lay the rod down with the tip pointing toward the bait. That way, the fish can pull a little line out without feeling the rod load, which gives me time to grab the rod & see whether he's running or sitting before I decide what to do next. I'll tighten up & reel on a running fish, but I'll free the spool and hold the line between my fingers if he's sitting still. I don't want him facing toward me when I tighten up.
    Bottom line: It's more important to get used to one hook or another & stick with it.
    Gotta love that Garcia 7000, don't you? My favorite reel ever!

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I've seen Flatheads on the Ohio River take in cut bait and never ever even show a bite while tight-lining. They than just sat there for over 20 min. each. The only sign was that the tips of the poles looked like the was a blade of grass on the line in the current. One was 22 lbs the other/first had fooled me.

:roll_eyes:

13. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    WOW!!! never had that experience the ones I have caught hit so hard they almost ripped the rod out of the holder....

14. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

Ive had that happen several times also.
    flattie just suckes up the bait and just sits on it. in fact Its happened that I reeled up my bait when the we were packing up, it felt a tad heavy, only to find a 5lber on it. usualy these are cases of smaller fish, or fish that jus t are not moving. you placed your bait so perfectly that the flattie is comfortable and staying there.

15. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey, Tony, you are right about that for sure buddy. The Abu Garcia 7000 is the best reel by far that i've ever used. It and my 6500 is also great.

16. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    For what I've stated above for "River Rats Question on HOOKS" is that most here on BOC say/know that there can be problems with circles. Also 80% of the Flatheads (approx. 50 plus Flatheads) I get using cut bait are on what I call the "lite-bite". In this mode they will not run with the baits and in my opinion you must go for them. These are not just small fish for my PB Flathead of 39#s bit like a 6 inch Perch. Most here on BOC will/may say that they don't do this or have not seen this but I know/see different.

This is on the Ohio River upstream a few hundred from River Rat 42. Just tryin to help.

:smile:

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah iv caught 40+ers flatties out of madison ,ohio river i only use J hooks / cat maxx baitholders 7/0 and 8/0 , i match this to 2" to 12" bait i some times use two hooks per bait , iv caught a 40.5# flat on a 2" shad as well as several 35 and 40+ers on 6" to 12" shad and or skippies , fish eat fish it doesnt matter the size if they want it and can catch it its food little fish will hit big bait if they cant get it in their mouth they will draw attention from nearby fish that may. go to a blue gill hole drop a line in , in shallow clear water watch yer bait and think these are fish no different than cats only smaller they will tear at the bait till one decides to take it if it wont fit in their mouth another will take it away . iv fished the ohio river alot latly iv caught as many as 12 flathead cats in the same spot over and over on more than one occassion and after a few i sometimes catch the big ones in that spot not cause i changed to bigger bait cause he got tired of watching all the other fish feed

18. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I always use Circle 8/0

19. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the help Steve

20. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    By no means was I questioning your advice. Circle Hooks work for aggressive fish. If they are not "running" away from you or for light biters I 100% agree circles are useless... I was just stating in my limited time of fishing for flatheads I have never seen or experienced the light bite:tounge_out: