Question on fuel pump/filter 1990 johnson 9.9

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tofish, Apr 10, 2008.

1. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i gave my son my old johnson. maybe had 60 hrs on it when i gave it to him. (i used it as kicker motor) it sat in garage for over 3 yrs and was hardly ran on boat until recently. he has to run with choke partly pulled out. johnson dealer here says pump needs rebuilt. wants two hundred something for the kit. also, claims cannot find any gas filter of any kind on motor. 400.00 for them to rebuild it themself. i think highway robury. son is a mechanic, has the mechanics book on motor. can anyone help on finding rebuild kit cheaper? bubba? help please.
    gary

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would suggest you rebuild the carb while you are at it. If you will get me the model number and I'll get you a link where you can order the pump and carb kit for I would guess less the 50 bucks. While you are at it chang that water pump impeller also.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'd definately do the carb and impellor first. As for that pump, get a replacement if it's needed. The rebuild of OMC pumps is the biggest pain in the butt I've ever done.

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    nodel # is J10RESC.
    one other question. like the suggestion of just getting another pump. can we get one at the same place? thanks a lot
    gary

5. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    U MIGHT WANT TO CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL NAPA DEALER THE ONE HERE IN MY HOME TOWN CAN OREDER STUFF FOR MOTORS.
    PEEDEE CAT

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i got back to yuma, az today and called dealer here. carb kit only 38.00. new fuel pump 79.00. much better than california prices. gonna go that way. thanks guys.
    gary

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Its your call but I can still get them off the net cheaper and you reallly need to change that impeller or it will all be for nothing.

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i'm all ears bubbakat. i thought i'd found them cheap. please send the info to me. thanks.
    gary

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Bubba, we changed the impeller this past fall. the johnson dealer here gave me the parts numbers for the carb kit and fuel pump if that will help.
    carb kit - 439073
    new fuel pump - 397839
    hoping that helps in your looking for the site to order from.
    gary

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Go to this site to order these or you can contact them from the icon and andrew will be more then glad to help but here is what I have. I have done business with these people on several occasions and have always received good service from them.
    http://www.marineengine.com/

Carb Kit--- 18-7219 ----- $15.94

Fuel Pump----- 18-7350-----$37.06

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    thanks Bubbakat. will go through them for sure.
    gary

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you have any problems getting through that site let me know I will get you hooked right up.:wink:

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    gonna call them tomorrow. for some reason, they won't except my discover card. say it's a bad card and i know it's not. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    gary

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Willard, son got the parts and replaced them. discovered that that something metalic on carb is cracked so needs new carb. also, said something about breaking a bracket that the idle mixture for lean or rich nob got broke. hoping he'll post and describe better since he's in ca and i'm in az. any suggestions on where to find?
    gary

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i've tried to find the parts online, but they don't list the model number on the moter. J10RESC a little help again please!!!!!!!!!!
    gary